Announcements

[Other] Allow users to reuse an old password

Spotify Technical Support.png

The vast majority of us are not 5 years old and don't need this restriction. It's frustrating for users who use a similar password for things, especially since Spotify on Android can be glitchy (not letting you log in with the correct password).

I had to change my password temporarily, only to find that in doing so I could not switch it back... really quite dumb. No security issue, just a plain old workaround towards logging in on my phone, and now I can't keep my old password.

Updated on 2021-02-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-02-27

Marked as new idea.

schele_aap
Visitor

This is especially annoying when Spotify thinks a suspicious login happened and forces you to change your password. You don't even get the option to say the login was legit.

ThatJamesPerry

Overall, I hate any service that does this. Password control should be in, and stay in, the hands of the user. If there is some sort of security reason for this feature, the details of such should be given to the public. Support the reason you run with this way of doing things with real data, or surrender the control back to the users.

Pretty simple, really. 

adamtheburke
Visitor

I'll add another thing from a security perspective:

I have three excellent passwords I use in my life that meet all the special character requirements, are nigh impossible to guess, and are 12-18 characters in length. The chances of a security breach are pretty low.

All 3 of these are now useless for spotify. I usually revert to a series of 1s and qs in order for me to be able to log in whenever I log into a new device, which is way easier to guess. Why not just send an email if I'm logging in from a weird location like everyone else does?

ktepk-_4mtccp

bump, get rid of this dumb feature already

Jacob
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2021-02-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas