[Other] Musician/Engineer Credits should be Mandatory Before Posting

Spotify, as an avid listener and shareholder, I think it is appalling how little you do to ensure that musicians and engineers are credited for their work. It is not just an annoyance – it is stealing.

For instance, I am listening to a Grammy-nominated artist, and not one of the other musicians is credited, even though there are 17 of them! (I had to go to Bandcamp to find them.)

Of course it takes time to do this, but it should be an intrinsic part of your business plan. It should not just be part of a premium plan with liner notes. A simple text credit would be a start; linking to the artists' other work would be a valuable offering to them to compensate for the lack of payment they receive in other forms.

This lack of respect for musicians makes me re-think my support for Spotify.

(Also, your community board user interface leaves a lot to be desired.)

This previous post says, "STATUS: Implemented"...?

Displaying album credits

Submitted by Peppe on ‎2012-03-17 08:02 PM

Implemented

Updated on 2021-02-03

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

Comments
Samsh1
Casual Listener

If you right click and show credits it shows who is involved. Beyond that, it's up to artists to publish the makers.

Casual Listener
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I understand that you can right click and see the
credits, etc. However, there are so many times when this is blank. I think
it's the platform's responsibility to make sure that musicians are
credited, and crediting each other.
Peter
Spotify Legend

Hey @1224307767,

Thanks for posting your feedback here.

The implemented idea which you mentioned was with regard to this official announcement, which announced the initial roll-out of the songwriter credits feature.

You're right that some of the metadata gathered can be incomplete, but bear in mind that this data is sourced from the information that is provided to us by artists and record labels.

We're always looking to improve such features, and your feedback on them is much appreciated. As a result, we're marking this as a new idea.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Peter
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-02-05

Marked as a new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Casual Listener

Thanks for your reply Peter. I read the previously-expired post Need liner notes. So in order for anyone at Spotify to consider that musicians deserve to be recognized as an intrinsic part of the platform, the onus is on me, the user, to obtain/maintain ‘100 kudos’? This strikes me as ludicrous, forcing one to chase ‘likes’ for their complaint to be taken seriously, a social media model of management that lacks transparency and accountability. What are the other ways to address this besides the community forum? Thanks!

underthewhip

Now I've followed about 6-7 links from dismissed ideas that suggest that album booklets should be available and I end up in this post which requests something else. There is obviously enough people who want to read the full booklet but you keep shuffling us around to the newest post on the subject which in the end was another subject. Just add the booklets!

Luan
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2021-02-03

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.