[Partnership] Roon Integration

Hi there.  I'm afraid I've just cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription (after several happy years) to jump ship to Tidal.  The reason?  Roon integration.  Roon and Tidal allow me to 'pin' Tidal albums alongside my owned albums so they appear together.  I can queue Tidal tracks next to mine, as well as view, edit and play Tidal playlists in Roon.  I'd love to come back to Spotify and bring all my playlists and albums from Spotify into Roon.  Thanks.

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-12-25

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea again, in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2017-02-19

Marked as new idea.

thyname

Not integrating with Roon is plain stupid. You guys are missing out on thousands of Roon users. Shame

miglto
Casual Listener

I very much would like Roon integration. I am a premium subscriber but a relatively seldom user. I might cancel if Roon integration doesn't happen.

erich6a

In a hypercompetitive market I don't understand why you don't work with Roon to provide Spotify service integration.  You have an opportunity to take marketshare from Tidal as well as build a customer base that will pay for a higher tier of lossless streaming when you offer it.

thyname

Exactly! It is a win-win for both Roon and Spotify. Nothing to lose. Spotify does not have to pay any licensing fees to Roon and vice-versa 

OozanA

why it took so long?

miglto
Casual Listener

In all likelihood, Spotify's insistance on the use of their front end is likely linked to user activity tracking. For example, they might collect information on all user playlists, who they connect with, what they click on and possibly end up not playing, what gets interrupted midstream, skipped, etc etc etc. Spotify has even figured out how to have hardware partners and still preserve user tracking through Spotify Connect.

So as much as I would love Spotify Hifi and Roon integration, if the above speculation is correct (and it should be or else I would doubt the smarts of the Spotify team), then I see this as a non-starter.

Unless... Roon offers Spotify something they don't have... For example, Roon could share users' local libraries, playlists, and other information - obviously with explicit user consent. This could be especially valuable to Spotify as Roon users cover a different spectrum of users - they have deep classical, jazz, blues, and many other less pop(ular) genres. This could be very valuable to Spotify.

So there... Give and take. 

mdconnelly

I love Spotify but I love Roon even more.   Roon+Tidal integration is amazing, but Roon+Spotify would be far better.   I'm not giving up Roon and I don't want to run Spotify outside of Roon.  Surely there must be a way to reach common ground on this.

miglto
Casual Listener

I want Spotify+Roon as well - especially if Spotify launches Hifi.

I do get the reticense given data collection. Roon should probably negotiate with Spotify and provide something that is useful for them. Given the size of the Spotify business, they have likely put a lot of effort in their front end and user data gathering, so I get incorporating a different style data source would be difficult and take time.

I would love it if this happens. If it doesn't I will likely drop my Spotify Premium account.

mrvco

+1 for Roon integration with Spotify lossless.  I canceled my Spotify account and switched to Tidal due to a combination of their lossless service and integration with Roon.  Integrating with Roon would help differentiate Spotify from Apple Music, especially with Spotify's lossless offering and level the playing field with Tidal.