[Partnership] USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP)

This idea is marked as "not right now" bacuase it involves a 3rd party. Instead please support the similar idea Support USB Audio directly - bypassing the Android driver

Background

External USB headphone DAC/amps for Android phones are becoming a thing.  The release of the LG G5 and its "Hi-Fi Plus module" is an example that has been widely publicised.  What Hi-Fi has a Best DACs page that mainly lists portable audiophile kit - a few years ago the DACs in What Hi-Fi were all mains powered and large.  I would personally prefer to carry a phone and a DAC rather than a phone and a portable music player mostly because of Spotify. 

USB Audio support in Android 5 (Lollypop) is imperfect - see this support thread.

AudioQuest, makers of the Dragonfly, have recommended the USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) app.  The app uses its own USB Audio Driver to bypass the imperfect Android driver.  On my phone I get glitching and up-sampling in Spotify with the Dragonfly and the Android driver but there are no issues with UAPP.

Proposal

Spotify developers could work with the makers of USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) to support their USB Audio driver in Spotify.  I imagine that UAPP would need to be installed before Spotify would see the driver.  So I imagine UAPP's developers would help with the integration because it would lead to more sales of their app.

Advantages

• The UAPP developers are clearly experts at linking Android phones to USB audio devices.
  • If there is a concern about protecting the IP in the music then working with the developer of the USB driver could be useful. e.g. to verify that the end point was a supported device.
  • I expect Google will improve the Android drivers in the future but Spotify users, like me, are looking for audiophile sound quality now and on their current devices.
  • Spotify's competitor Tidal is already supported by UAPP.

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hello!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form :)

Have a nice day!

Related Ideas

Comments
bubbal

+1

riptunes
Casual Listener

same

Jebbel86

Waiting for this before getting a DAC. I will consider Tidal otherwise; it seems to have much better support for these things.

Laminaat

Tried the dragonfly red with my OnePlus 3 today. Too bad the USB integration is sub optimal. Bought the app USB audio player pro, doesn't work with Spotify. Come on, support high end audio technology please!

riptunes
Casual Listener

I agree. With Tidal gaining more songs and the corporate structure becoming more favorable, more audiophiles will start to jump ship.

markrs

Listening to Tidal via USB on Android through the Tidal app, and comparing that to listening to Tidal via UAPP (bit perfect) there's a significant difference in sound quality. Far more detail and ambience via UAPP. The difference is far more noticeable that the difference between Tidal and Spotify (listening on a Mac, so elimiating the driver issue).

The ideal solution would be for Spotify to integrate the eXtream USB driver, so we wouldn't need to use the UAPP user interface. I would be happy if this would be a paid option in the Spotify app - A little bit of upsell potential for Spofity, and us users would be happy too.

Come on Spotify, hurry up and make a decision on this.

desnewell
Casual Listener

Hi, I would also like to vote for Spotify to allow integration with Usb Audio Player Pro ( UAPP). I have been a paying subscriber to Spotify for years but have recently trialled Tidal Hifi out of curiosity. Not a great difference in the quality between extreme Spotify and Tidal through thier repsective apps but Tidal through UAPP using an external DAC is remarkable. Please would you do a similar deal with Extreme software and allow Spotify to be played through UAPP?

petebryan

DIsappointing that no progress is being made on this.

riptunes
Casual Listener

Agreed

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2017-03-06

Thanks for sharing your idea @ZorkII. As this involves a 3rd party we can't comment on it or give status updates I'm afraid. We'll mark this as Not Right Now and if we have any public news on this we'll let you know here first. Thanks!