[Partnership] USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP)

This idea is marked as "not right now" bacuase it involves a 3rd party. Instead please support the similar idea Support USB Audio directly - bypassing the Android driver

Background

External USB headphone DAC/amps for Android phones are becoming a thing.  The release of the LG G5 and its "Hi-Fi Plus module" is an example that has been widely publicised.  What Hi-Fi has a Best DACs page that mainly lists portable audiophile kit - a few years ago the DACs in What Hi-Fi were all mains powered and large.  I would personally prefer to carry a phone and a DAC rather than a phone and a portable music player mostly because of Spotify. 

USB Audio support in Android 5 (Lollypop) is imperfect - see this support thread.

AudioQuest, makers of the Dragonfly, have recommended the USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) app.  The app uses its own USB Audio Driver to bypass the imperfect Android driver.  On my phone I get glitching and up-sampling in Spotify with the Dragonfly and the Android driver but there are no issues with UAPP.

Proposal

Spotify developers could work with the makers of USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) to support their USB Audio driver in Spotify.  I imagine that UAPP would need to be installed before Spotify would see the driver.  So I imagine UAPP's developers would help with the integration because it would lead to more sales of their app.

Advantages

• The UAPP developers are clearly experts at linking Android phones to USB audio devices.
  • If there is a concern about protecting the IP in the music then working with the developer of the USB driver could be useful. e.g. to verify that the end point was a supported device.
  • I expect Google will improve the Android drivers in the future but Spotify users, like me, are looking for audiophile sound quality now and on their current devices.
  • Spotify's competitor Tidal is already supported by UAPP.

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hello!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form :)

Have a nice day!

Comments
reguax

It doesn't need to involve a 3rd party. UAPP is only an example.

What we need is direct access to USB DAC from Spotify app, bypassing the Android driver.

Neutron player also has its implementation and works great. I get stereo sound through my USB DAC in Android 6.

Come on spotify! Small developers have implemented it.

How come you don't?

ZorkII
Roadie

@reguax, I agree with your comment so I have expanded it into a new idea Support USB Audio directly - bypassing the Android driver. The new idea removes 3rd party involvement. If the UAPP idea is closed now then starting a new idea quickly seems like the best way forward to me. Please message me directly if you have any comments related to the new idea - I am happy to change the text if it could be clearer or if you want to be referenced.

desnewell
Casual Listener
Hi, I think it is a good idea. Just have to keep on at Spotify to work
something out. Many thanks.
BobJS

Spotify, I love your curation.  Unfortunately, you're going to lose me to Tidal because of your inaction on this request.

Jake-Grabowski
Regular

Please bypass broken Android USB OTG driver to fully support DAC! Thats new killer feature in Spotify for Android.

ron8881

Please add this feature, tidal already supports it

Bhk1004

I actually contacted uapp to see if they are developing a play through for spotify like tidal, and apparently they can't because spotify refuses to give them a license. So I guess there is a negotiation issue or spotify doesn't think they need them. 

Really contemplating switching my family plan over to tidal... 

Jake-Grabowski
Regular

Yeah I also consider switching to tidal.

michaelsikand

Please get this done

SoCal
Casual Listener

Please make it happen Spotify!  Us Audiophiles need this 👍