Announcements

Pioneer AV Receivers: VSX-1021, VSX-51, VSX-52, VSX-53, DLNA, Wi-FI, AirPlay, Vtuner

Pioneer offers four receivers that are similar and they are as follows: VSX-1021, VSX-51, VSX-52, VSX-53.  Also, the receivers offer the following features: DLNA, Wi-FI, AirPlay, and Vtuner.  By adding a Spotify firmware upgrade each of the above receivers could become Spotify enabled allowing one to listen to Spotify through their home stereo with out using a USB or hard wire connection.

Pioneer has already released Spotify firmware updates on their most recent, including some 2013 and newer, line of AV receivers.  How hard could it be to offer the same scripts on slightly older Pioneer receivers? It should be a fairly-low level of effort to enable the receivers depicted above to work with Spotify since several Pioneer new receivers with similar features are Spotify enabled today.

Lastly, Spotify would gain an increase in subscribers and market share which in turn would lead to higer revenue generation

Updated: 2015-12-27

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea. You might want to submit this request to Pioneer customer service as well, as my understanding of Connect hardware partnerships is that they will have to implement any future firmware updates.

Casual Listener

Spotify recommended I contact Pioneer regarding compatibility and the response is listed below.

On December 24, 2014 Pioneer Customer Service wrote the following:

Thank you for your inquiry and kind words about our product.  At this time, there is not Spotify compatibility on the VSX-52 (or other models depicted in the initial post).  We do not have information on whether one may be available in the future.

On January 7, 2015 my opinion is as follows:

The ability to upgrade firmware and add new features is changing how we evaluate AV receivers. 

Pioneer does offer limited firmware upgrades on select models. On the other hand, manufacturers such as Onkyo are also enabling AV receivers to accept firmware upgrades. In addition, new features such as Dolby Atmos is available on select Pioneer AV receivers and, in part understandably, not on older models due to constraints associated with older processors.  For my next AV receiver, part of my evaluation criteria will focus on brands who offer to protect us from short-term obsolesce.  One way to accomplish this, offer firmware updates and the ability to add new enhancements such as streaming music players like Spotify even if I have to pay for the upgrade.  Perhaps this could be a new revenue stream for AV receiver manufacturers.    

Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2015-12-27

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!