Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Sihen

Soundcloud has a great solution for this (and this@saved). Just look to them, Spotify!

PLEASE DEVELOP THIS!

This has been my single biggest annoyance with the Spotify app for Android.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-05-24

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback around Playlists in Your Music. Right now we don't have plans for a feature like this, so we're going to mark this as 'Not Right Now'. Check back here for updates--we'll post here first. 

Johntheone
Boooooooooooooo. This is such a 'common sense' idea this could greatly increase productivity in app
Newbruin

YES!!!  It drives me bonkers to have to repeat the process for each playlist!

zikabuk

Please do it, but for mobile devices in priority.

It's not that bothering on the desktop app.

SunRize

I normally love Spotify. But I become SUPER ANGRY every time I use Spotify when I have to add a song to multiple playlists - one playlist at a time!!! Extremely time consuming, & I don't have that kind of spare time; technology is supposed to be QUICK! I often add a song to 5 or more playlist. This lack of option makes me hate y'all. Soooo archaic!!!! It's 2016 already. Please update this program. It USED to be an included feature on the old version. I have no idea why any new one dimensional thinker would have changed it to its current state. Wayyyyyy annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not smart!

shufls

This really needs to be added, not just to the desktop client but the iPhone app as well. 

jeffb912

Why will spotify not listen to the users. This is so simple and needed NOW!

Striker376

Does Spotify have a reason as to why this isn't being implemented?  It is such a basic and sensible adjustment that would exponentially and instantly make the user experience more enjoyable and efficient.  It should be added to both desktop and mobile.  To Spotify - is it difficult or costly to implement?