Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
aburkie111

Please change this. I waste so much time adding to playlists one by one. I will soon cancel my subscription if it is not changed. 

QualiAwe

This is killing me and my poor fingers as well. How hard could it be to just implement checkboxes for Windows/Mac application and a long-press action for Android/iOS which could mark multiple playlists the song should get added to...

**bleep**, why not make it possible to mark multiple songs in Android/iOS as well?

vipulgupta

This feature is really required, it is such a pain to add one song to multiple playlists when there is a simple solution for it, something which Youtube has it since ages and which makes so much sense.

Jose_M
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hi there,

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, I'll close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, I encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2019-10-15

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Jpgchief

Definitely you have my vote I really appreciate this opinion and hope we can hace it soon.

PurpleTurtle87

There is a very iffy workaround on desktop
If you add a song and then very quickly hover over 'Add to playlist' again before it disappears you can select another playlist
This works maybe 60% of the time and only works for 2 playlists but it's better than one by one by one which is, as noted, horribly tedious. I really hope that this is resolved soon.

d5_ybs-7o0l5b

Yes! I have so many playlists that I add the same song to.

Piggybacking off of this, I would like to be able to see all of the playlists that a song is already on.

Ccat1
  • I so agree with this idea and don't understand why such a helpful tool isn't already available. It makes me miss using iTunes as that was helpful in this respect. This should also allow you to view which playlists a song is already saved to and help you delete the song from all your playlists if you no longer like it. I hope they sort this asap!
conner_thewhite

I appreciate the support for the idea everybody! Haven't seen any movement on Spotify's part since posting a couple months ago, but the more likes the idea gets, the more seriously they take it. So if yo can get the hyperlink for this page to any of your friends who use Spotify and have them like it, hopefully it will get their attention quicker:)