[Playlists] Enable a setting to add a "default" playlist to save a selected song.

Add a setting to select a "default" playlist so the "add to playlist" function automatically adds the selected song to this playlist rather than having to search for the target playlist every time. 

Further more, the "heart" or "liked" icon on both the mobile and desktop applications could use the default playlist to "light up" the heart instead of showing just what is on the "Liked Songs" (BTW most people I know, do not use "Liked songs" feature because all songs go to a single list that does not offer much control). 

This newly proposed feature will allow to add songs to the same playlist successively with a single stroke, on the mobile app, or with a single "heart click"  on the desktop app. 

I know that, on the desktop, we can add songs to playlist with drag and drop, nevertheless the advantage of the proposed feature on the desktop will be that the lighted heart will indicate what is already on my "default" playlist rather than just what's on the "Liked Songs".

A little rationalization on why the idea may be useful:  Most people listen to more than one genera and even sub-classifies music by artist and even by tempo, romantic, dancing, etc, you name it.  Most times I find myself improving a specific playlist, therefore I focus on one list at a time.  Because of this, it will be very convenient to set up a default playlist that I will be working on during each editing session.  The "default" playlist should have has nothing to do with listening though.

I guess lots of people will love this feature.

Updated on 2021-03-22

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
Petya
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-04-20

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Jomero
Casual Listener
As a software developer myself, I know it is difficult to introduce
disrupting features since too many users are accustomed to the app the way
it is (Spotify is already awesome the way it is). An additional detail to
my proposal is that the "Liked songs" be treated as just another playlist
for this purpose. The consequences of this approach is that, if you add,
for example a dropdown on the settings screen, the default playlist on
initial setup will be "Liked songs". The effect is that if user is not
interested on this new feature at all, the application will continue to
work as usual, so no disruption is caused.

Another recommendation is to provide some clue on the main to indicate what
the default playlist is, to reduce the chance of adding songs to the wrong
playlist by mistake and so users do not have to go to settings to find out
what default playlist is in effect.

Even another possibility, if you find enough room for it on the mobile app,
is to offer the default playlist selector on the main screen itself rather
than having to go to settings for it. That will be superb! Certainly
possible with the desktop version due to abundant real state.

I hope these additional tips make this new feature even more feasible.

Kudos to all of you for the great work you keep doing.
Jacob
Community Legend
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-22

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.