[Playlists] Make Collaborative Playlists public

To my mind, collaborative playlists are one of the great successes of Spotify. You and your friends are going on a long road trip, so you make a playlist that you all contribute to. It is fantastic.

However, Spotify has decided that all collaborative playlists should be private. They did this because as we all know, anything that can be edited online will quickly be vandalized. The thing is, I would very much like to publish my collaborative playlists, because they are some of my favorites.

So this is what I propose. Create an option for collaborative playlists to be viewed publicly, but edited only by invitation. That way anyone can see the playlist, but only a selected few people can edit it. This is done on a whole host of other technologies, so why not do it on Spotify? Please spread the word and give this idea some kudos to ensure that it happens!

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form 🙂

You can find more info on how the Ideas Exchange is managed here.

Comments

I was just about to post this! I'm surprised this hasnt been an option yet. 

Casual Listener

This is a brilliant idea.

Please make this mr. Spotify.

used to be part of some collab. playlists and the main admin decided to make them public so can't collaborate anymore.

Would be great if the person who runs the playlists can make users "Admins"(kinf of like reddit admin) and they are the only ones who can collaborate etc.

Casual Listener

If it's collborative and private how can the person you want to add to the playlist it see it? Espeially with no messaging anymore.

Casual Listener

Exactly the point, DarbNation. I love the collaborative feature, but it is being implemented horribly right now. Spread the word so that this idea gets more votes.

Casual Listener

darn so it completely cancels the point of a collaborative playlist? Thats kinda why i joined spotify. I can't leave now i have like weeks worth of music on here

Casual Listener

Well you can still invite people to see your collaborative playlist, and when you do that, you guys can edit it together. That's how it currently works. But it would be better if everyone could see the playlist, and either you invite editors, or people request to be editors.

Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey @pyzaist since your idea reached over 100 votes we took it to our playlist team. They've let us know they don't have plans for this with the current way collaborative playlists work. Of course if this changes in the future we will let you all know here first. This idea is still open for more votes and comments which we'll keep bringing to the teams. Thanks!

Roadie

Check out the Top Hits, Medellin Colombia - pretty awesome

https://open.spotify.com/album/1XA8RZXefC5i09zLvHJ9Da

Casual Listener

Upvote this similar but slightly different approach to getting a solution:

Allow Public Playlists to Have Editor Privileges