[Playlists] Make Collaborative Playlists public

To my mind, collaborative playlists are one of the great successes of Spotify. You and your friends are going on a long road trip, so you make a playlist that you all contribute to. It is fantastic.

However, Spotify has decided that all collaborative playlists should be private. They did this because as we all know, anything that can be edited online will quickly be vandalized. The thing is, I would very much like to publish my collaborative playlists, because they are some of my favorites.

So this is what I propose. Create an option for collaborative playlists to be viewed publicly, but edited only by invitation. That way anyone can see the playlist, but only a selected few people can edit it. This is done on a whole host of other technologies, so why not do it on Spotify? Please spread the word and give this idea some kudos to ensure that it happens!

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form 🙂

You can find more info on how the Ideas Exchange is managed here.

Comments

Could be a cool idea, but risky to rely on other's tastes 

That's not what this thread is about.
I think what the post is about is that any existing collaborative playlist
between people should be made public for people's listening not that they
can collaborate on that playlist too

Is there now a way to make collaborative playlists public or is that feature still unavailable?

Casual Listener

@DavidConroy22, no it is still unavailable.

This will even give Spotify an opportunity to be more of a social media platform, giving users more of an ability to collabroate with each other (instead of the tedious task of being forced to share the link versus being able to search it).. ultimately creating more incentive to use Spotify.

Casual Listener

Any change on this idea?  Vandalism is a big issue when you have public collaborative playlists, we run a Hardcore/Hardstyle/Frenchcore/Raw playlist within the friendgroup. However we share the playlist with others, which recently resulted in changes made by outsiders to the playlist...

Casual Listener

@MaxieNL, nope no change on the idea. It is still paused. I’m guessing that the only way that is going to change is if this idea gets like 1,000 kudos.

I think collaborative playlists need to be public. I want to see what songs my friends have recently added, I want to know who added the latest song. At the same time I want the awesome album to be on my public playlist list on my profile so people can see the playlist and see whos added to it with out being able to add stuff themselves. Collaborative playlists should be public for eveyone to listen to and if you want to add songs to it you need to be invited from the playlist creator.

Casual Listener

@ocxbatwing, I couldn’t agree more! However Spotify has officially responded to this thread with a “Not right now”. That means the only way this is going to happen is if we get A LOT of traction and kudos on this idea. So spread the word and get all your friends to give kudos!

Who writes various playlists? For example the playlist titled,"Pollen?"