A common situation:

1) You love Spotify so much,

you use it every single day.

2) You find a good song and you save it to Your Music,

where you already have zillions of songs

3) So you also want this song into your playlists,

which you kinda sort songs by a personal criteria that works for you

3) But this song happens to fit several of your playlists.. and you wonder:

Q1: Is this song already in my playlists?

Q2: If so, in which one/ones?

Here's a simple solution:

1 ) right-click any song

2 ) show ✔ next to the playlists that contain that song

tick_playlist.png

Extra features (1):  Add how many times a song is repeated in the playlist:

number_playlist.png

Extra features (2): Show ♫ if a song is in your playlists:

original.png

With this feature you could browse any user playlist or any search result and figure out which songs are in your playlists at once, without checking each of your playlists manually.

Do you like the idea? Give it some kudos! 😃

Thanks,

Albert

Edit: The idea has been reposted here

Updated on 2017-08-30

Hey Folks!

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. We noticed this idea has been marked as Not Right Now for a while, so we thought we’d update everyone on its current status.

After serious consideration, we’ve decided not to introduce the ability to see which playlists a song is in. As a result, we’ve marked this idea as Case Closed. Don’t worry! Should you try to add a song twice to the same playlist, you’ll receive the following warning message:

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 6.50.52 PM.png  

The team behind Search are also working on new and innovative ways to improve your Spotify experience. Although we’ve decided not to implement the feature as described, we appreciate all the feedback the thread generated, and rest assured we’ll use it to inform our decisions going forward.

Comments

or a "clear duplicates" button

Casual Listener

This would be a huge help for me in cleaning up my library.  I sometimes just put the Library (house icon) on shuffle to listen to all the songs I've ever put in a playlist.  But sometimes I hear a song I don't want anymore, but I don't know which playlist it is in to delete it!  I have to go through every playlist manually searching for it... and it could be in multiple... I need this feature!

Great Idea,  I too have run into problems with managing large old playlists.  adding songs is easy. but removing them is not.  this feature would be great if you are listening to a large playlist on shuffle and come across a song that you want to remove.  if you could click on the info button -- see what playlists it was in -- and uncheck it like the unstar button, that would make editing playlists on the fly much easier.

Regular

@EvanR : I don't know much about using Spotify in smartphones, but maybe there could be an additional list in that menu with the playlists containing that song. Or maybe dedicating a specific icon that, when you press, it could show an specific list of the playlists in which the song actually is. Something like this idea for the smartphone clients. In that case, I suggest an "apply changes" at the end of that menu.

I wish this simple feature to be implemented asap (whether mobile or desktop), so everybody can start taking real control of their playlists!!

Cheers 😃

Casual Listener

Please please pleeease implement this idea! I'm constantly faced with the "I wonder if I have already added this song to any of my playlists" question. Oh, I love the suggested implementation by atzxarxes in the mock-up above. 🙂

Regular

@MartinDK: Thank you for your comment! I also wonder if a song is already in my playlists. If you are with me.. please, consider visiting this other idea and kudo it. Thank you!!

original.png

Casual Listener

This is an outstanding suggestion, particularly the idea of showing the number of occurances. Simple and effective. Thank you for the excelent posting.

This problem will take you like 1-2 Seconds to solve. Whenever you add a new song to your main playlist, star the song.

So everytime you go to another playlist, every song you have in your main playlist will show up as starred.

This way, you will know what songs you have added to your list, and which songs you haven't added.

Problem Solved!

Regular

@Cenniz: Yes, sure! But how do you manage to know which playlists contain that song?

By the way, using the starred feature manually to know if a song is in your playlists is not handy, at least to me.

The fact is that the "star" is the only feature that can actually 'mark' any song with a visible icon within all the features in spotify (including search results, your own and other playlists, apps, artists pages, etc.) and therefore is the only feature you can use to separate the results.

Why not just prevent it adding the same track to your playlist more than once? There's no point in it being there twice...