[Playlists] Voting/Rating on Collaborative Playlists

Colloaborative playlists are great. Me and my roommates spend hours debating what songs should or should not be included on a shared playlist, which provides endless entertaimnent.

One way to up the ante a bit would be to allow all the collaborators to rate each song in the playlist and then have an average rating feature. That would be a great data point to help decide if we should keep or delete a controversial song.

Do you guys agree? Is there any way to do this currently that I am not aware of?

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
toomeyti

Yeah totally agree

Jordi
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

LordFoobar

I totally agree with this idea.

Furthermore, this should only be applicable to followers of the playlists, and ratings should not display votes of people no longer following; you unsubscribe from a playlist, your votes are cleared permanently.

Alternatively, two ratings solution can be used

1. a 5 stars system
  2. a up/down vote system

If using the second solution, this could also apply to all the other ideas out there; people up/down voting music... because, to be honest, score-by-play-count is a little biassed; it's not because I played some music that I necessarily like it.

Free users (aka leechers) may have a limited amount of votes per day, so the major contribution will come from premium users.

davidkeefner

I don't think the rating system (whether 5-star or up/down) should be visible to the listener but only to the creator of the playlist. This allows the creator to make a decision on removing songs based on approval ratings. To avoid abuse of the system, allow 1 vote per paid user per song. 

Silpheedx

This is a wonderful idea.

It would be perfect for at work stations.

Everyone adds to the palylist. Then votes songs up or down as they play. The songs too many people don like wont be played anymore. Like a star rateing threshhold. Anything below 2 or 3 stars wont be palyed anymore.

Would be perfect! ^^

This down here I think is a terrible idea. Sorry.

"I don't think the rating system (whether 5-star or up/down) should be visible to the listener but only to the creator of the playlist. This allows the creator to make a decision on removing songs based on approval ratings. To avoid abuse of the system, allow 1 vote per paid user per song."

Phagocytosis

Sounds nice to me—in particular I think it would be good if songs with a higher net score (upvotes minus downvotes) get played more often (at least as an option) even without intervention from the playlist creator, for true and immediate user input. Personally I'd love it best if the playlist creator would be able to manipulate the algorithm somehow, or at least some settings like whether songs that have mostly downvotes but at least one upvote should still be played sometimes to please the few people who liked that one, or just not be played at all... but all that might be a bit much for the casual user.

johnreilly10
Casual Listener

Totally agree! 

Should also be able to thumbs up / down songs in playlists in general - so the maker of the playlist knows what's good and what's not. 

This feature would need to be playlist specific (e.g. - just because I love a song, doesn't mean I love it in the focus playlist I listen too). I imagine this tool being super useful in pushing the spotify playlists I listen to (but don't necessarily follow) to the next level. Certain playlists just have a song or two that just doesn't belong. Let users comb these out. 

afinnarn

Has anyone looked at the Spotify API for doing this? I think you could layer something ontop of the current functionality?....

https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/

Spezz
Casual Listener

I also would really appreciate this feature.

Yeah! Star ratings in playlists, please!