Please bring back Save/Unsave Function (+ and check mark) Like/Unlike has messed up my library

Recently I have found that Spotify is doing away with the add/remove function (+ and check mark to add songs to or remove them from your library).  To my understanding, these worked the same as the save/unsave button: add one whole album to or remove from your library, respectively.

Now, there is a little green heart, which means like or dislike, which will add things to your library, but somehow doesn't remove them the same way + and check mark did. It seems to be an unnecessary change and causes more complications. 

I used to have specific songs from albums saved in my library. Now, I have ALL songs from every single album saved to my library, and my library is full because of this, so nothing else can be added. All the time and energy I spent making my library exactly what I wanted it to be, while being careful not to fill it up is now wasted.

If I only liked a couple songs I might save them, or put them in a playlist, OR I would save the whole album, listen to it, and remove the songs I didn't particularly like--this worked before the newest update. But now, if you enjoy the album except for a couple songs you chose to remove--too bad, you must listen to every single song because the whole album is still saved  in your library, even though every song isn't liked. So what exactly is the purpose of liking and unliking?

The inconsistency is in the like/unlike function versus the older add/remove or save/unsave function. EVERYTHING gets added to your library--filling it up.  

This creates an issue when downloading songs offline, too.  Only specifically, individually liked songs will get downloaded. This means that if you're trying to save data while driving, etc, basically you can't. You have to play all songs from the album, not just the ones you want to listen to, or what you downloaded for that purpose. 

It used to be add/remove or save/unsave songs and albums and now it is like/unlike songs and albums which is more ambiguous and doesn't function properly with a music library containing only the songs you want it to.  This is extremely frustating to me because it has effectively--I hope only temporarily--added back all the hundreds of songs I have removed from my library and eleminated all my work at making my library specifically curated for me. 

I'm a music listener who builds a library and then actually listens through all of it. This new update has made my library listening system and downloading offline obsolete. 

Updated on 2019-07-11

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has also been suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Library-Option-to-remove-individual-songs-from-save... 

We have also merged the votes from this idea to that original one. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

Related Ideas

Comments
someone_else_el

This new behavior is a huge nuisance!

I second everything said above.

twhitmor

I agree entirely with the post.  Now, to unsave an album, I have to swipe every song on it.  This is a ridiculous time suck.  Bring back

the save/unsave button now!!!

username118

I agree! I liked being able to hit the + button and save the song to my library without having to save it to a playlist. Songs have to earn a place on my playlists. It was good having a simple way to save a song for when I play my whole song library on shuffle. Why take away a feature when it was useful??

JJ5232
I was stupefied by an error message saying "music library full" a few days ago... I don't have crazy amounts of artists/songs saved. Had been following recommended Spotify playlists, in addition to creating my own private playlists, so I find it difficult to believe that as a premium subscriber, I'm "full" of anything except confusion. And now looking closer, I have duplicate and triplicate songs 'saved' somehow. Definitely would be helpful if Spotify flagged multiple songs, asking which version(s) to save.
Kappa54
Casual Listener

Last update was horrible.

dubtodaill
Casual Listener

Yeah I've got the same gripe.  It's more than just being upset about changes because changes are scary or whatever.  Sure I understand they need to make changes to keep the platform fresh but this feels like a business-centric move more than a user-centric move.  There wasn't anyone wishing for this kind of change.  No one was hoping they could somehow attach an emotionally loaded word and symbol to how they maintain their music library.  Changing what they track in metrics and changing the semantics so they can prove something ethereal to make more money on their side somehow.  If they keep moving in this direction it will be time to start looking for a new music client.

abhawary

Agree with everything you said. 

Liking a song and having it added to a playlist was possible before. It was a two step process; options --> add to *whatever* playlist. All that "Liked Songs" playlist did was reduce that two-step process to just one step whic is pressing the heart logo next to a song. 

However, to make this super unnecessary change, let's just take away people's ability to remove a song from a saved/downloaded album. Flawless logic there Spotify. If only I knew the person responsible for**bleep** update.

Literally started my 3-month trial with Apple Music yesterday since there I have the option to remove a song from the downloaded/saved album. At the end of those 3 months, if Spotify doesn't bring back the ability to delete a song from my library, I'm cancelling my subsciption. 

Good day.

Jemi
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2019-07-11

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has also been suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Library-Option-to-remove-individual-songs-from-save... 

We have also merged the votes from this idea to that original one. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here