Please don't use the DEVICE_ID as a unique identifier on the Android app!

So, recently I was testing my latest app that allows you to change the DEVICE_ID of your android device.

I noticed that whenever it was changed the Spotify app would become logged out and all of my offline tracks would be removed.

It is a bad idea to use the ANDROID_ID as it can be easily changed, and sometimes doesn't exist on devices.

I believe they used to use the IMEI, but that caused the app to crash on devices without an IMEI, as it was null. To fix the crash they switched to the ANDROID_ID. Stop me if I'm getting close 😉

They should use the Mac address, as that doesn't change, and is the same across ROM flashes most of the time.

Thanks for reading, and I composed this on my mobile - the mobile app removes all formatting including line breaks.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
pattyland
Casual Listener

Yesterday I restored my iPhone and imported the Backup; When I opened the Spotify I warned me that I installed Spotify on more than 3 Deviced (it's on my Tablet too) and that all my playlist are gonna beleted on my other deviced and whatever...

If you don't find a solution stop those stupid DRM for premium users! This is not premium, it's annoying!

Liam
Community Legend

I like the fact that this idea has 11 kudos 😛

Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!