Announcements

[Podcasts] No injected ads into podcasts for premium members

Yes, podcasters read out their own ads during their podcast. That's a separate issue. At least those can be skipped with the skip ahead button. 

What I'm talking about here are the ads that Spotify inject in themselves during podcasts. The ones that effectively pause the podcast, play the ad, then resume the podcast. 

Yes, I understand that it is up to the podcaster whether they choose to allow these types of ads. 

However, isn't the point of paying a subscription to stop getting those injected ads? Where's my choice in having to listen to those ads? Answer: I don't have a choice, even though I'm paying not to hear them. 

If someone has decided to regularly give you their hard earned money so that they don't have to hear those types of ads, do you really think they're going to respond warmly to those ads?

Let's say I'm happily listening to one of my favourite podcasts then an ad for Subway gets injected in by Spotify and interrupts the podcast. My immediate response is...

"Oh FFS, screw you Subway, I don't want your stupid sandwiches. Screw you Spotify, aren't I paying you not to hear this **bleep**? Screw you podcaster for using Spotify's ill-advised option to allow these ads on premium accounts. Let me just turn the volume down during this ad, where's the button? Aaaaah, I'm gonna crash the car!" *crash* *dead* *tragedy*

I really don't get how you think these injected ads are a good idea. To reiterate, if someone is paying specifically not to hear injected ads, it's highly likely that that person is not going to respond favourably to those types of ads when you put them in anyway. 

Just a heads up. If a comparable service comes along that doesn't do this silly stuff with ads, I'm outta here. It really taints the whole Spotify user experience. It's insulting to say the least. 

Updated on 2022-04-11

Hey @culjules,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - we'd recommend taking a look at it's Status for more info.

Cheers!

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2022-04-11

Hey @culjules,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - we'd recommend taking a look at it's Status for more info.

Cheers!