Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Split out podcasts into separate app

There have been many posts about improving the UI for podcasts within the Spotify app. But the more reasonable architectural decision seems to be to use a separate app for podcasts / audiobooks. Trying to cram too much into the spotify music app is confusing; it bloats the experience and distracts the user.

As an episodic medium with repeat consumption and curation, podcasts are just very different than traditional music. In particular, once I've decided to listen to a podcast, the likelihood of me wanting to listen to music is extremely low - podcast-specific search, prioritization and discovery is much worse when mixed up with musical content. 

Updated on 2021-12-09

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
hancherow

I would like a separate app for podcasts from Spotify.  I'm a premium user and like it for music. I would switch to Spotify for my podcasts but I find it confusing to have both in the same app.  Is this something that may be done in the future?

atlasata

Following what has been happening with the decreasing levels of viewership for Spotify exclusive podcast shows who previously used to bring in steady numbers on other "open" platforms I would like to suggest the following.

Separate Podcasts into a secondary app. Otherwise it will be damaging to not only the podcasts listed but to the the perception of what a podcast listening experience on Spotify might mean.

Integrating everything into the home screen  along with music suggestions makes for a confusing and unintuitive experience for users. When people go to launch for something to listen to,  they most likely have already made their mind up on whether they want to listen to workout music, driving music or news / interviews on their favorite podcasts. Once this choice has been made they do not want to have to navigate through what is partially music and what are podcast suggestions. 

This does not mean both cannot be integrated. The two apps could help launch one another if need be. But Podcasting deserves it full app experience.

Having a separate "Spotify Podcasts" app side by side with the original app would greatly improve peoples podcasting experience. Lovers of podcasts want to delve deep into their shows listening episode after episode without interruptions.

This solution will likely work better on mobile only as oppose to the desktop experience.

Best Regards,

luvialca

For me, it's not necessary to split into separate apps but in separate sessions inside the app. I hate when I open the app and see podcasts and music together. When I want to listen to music, I want to listen to music. When I want to listen to podcasts, I want to listen to podcasts. That's not the same thing!

gammybara

Whether it's a split into separate apps or a UI change, something needs to change. Imagine wanting to pause a podcast and listen to music. The irony is that Spotify makes this harder by mixing it all in one app. There is so much context I remember about what podcasts I've been listening to, and so much context I remember about what music I've been listening to. These two contexts are completely different and I never want them to mix. The thought of a playlist for podcasts next to a playlist for music makes me feel ill. Even seeing the podcast suggestions in Spotify messes with my experience with the app. I use another app for podcasts, but I would like to be able to use Spotify. However million you spend trying to grow the podcast business is wasted if you can't understand how detrimental it is to mix music with podcasts.

Novy
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-12-09

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Or at least a separate tab to you can be focused on music without loads of podcast recommendations I don't want and can't remove

Serialkvetcher

There needs to be a clear distinction between music and podcasts on the home page. That’s what I’d prefer.

the current mix and match makes the UI look cluttered and a mess. Hope Spotify fixes it soon.

ccs86

The current implementation of podcasts in Spotify is terrible. 

You can't even search for episodes within a certain podcast. This is BASIC functionality.

Garin3737

Yes, please please please move podcasts to a separate app. I actually deleted Spotify from my phone for a couple weeks because I was so frustrated with the invasive and incessant podcast integration. The ONLY podcast I listen to on Spotify is JRE because I have no choice. If there was a Spotify podcast app then I might actually use it to listen to other podcasts, but I currently don't because I want them completely separate from my music. When I'm driving and connect my phone to listen to music, I don't want to scroll through a dozen podcast recommendations before I can find the hidden music section.

jerboy1963

Spotify has created a giant mess trying to support all political stripes. And it will get worse. More musical artists with integrity will leave. And I will also. 

Spotify should quickly roll out a podcast platform, separate from the music streaming. Why are they combined in the first place? Call it SPODIFY or Spot-Cast or something. 

There are lots of streaming choices. It's time for Spotify to pick a side.