Possibility to move the android app to SD card

What I miss with the spotify app, is the possibility to move it to my SD card on android.

I use the HTC Desire, and the app space is very limited.

Although this idea has been suggested first, I'd like to merge it with a more popular idea to ensure this idea gets the best attention it deserves:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Allow-Android-App-to-move-to-SD-Card/idi-p/16612...

Add your kudos there please - Ideas will be merged and kudos transferred soon! ;)

Comments
UncleBob
Casual Listener

Hi Kenny,

You can do this if you "Root" your 'phone

Bob

Coylee_91

And how would one go about this?

user-removed
Not applicable

There is workaround for this!

This version https://rapidshare.com/files/2999426550/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Some Android phones have both internal storage and an SD card slot. In order for Spotify to use the SD card for storage of offline playlists, you will need to manually specify which folder you want it to use. Please keep in mind that your offline playlists will need to be re-synced after doing this:

1. Download this apk file.
  2. Enable third part apps in Settings.
  3. Install this apk file.
  4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location.
  5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card.

Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager and can differ between phones.

On the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, you should use:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Spotify will then store tracks in this folder:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Go to Market and update Spotify to new without removing old version. Now you can delete Spotify's Storage in Cache from your phone's built-in memory card. You can find it with file manager, just search it from built-in memory card in Android - Data - Spotify - Cache - Storage folder. The new Storage folder is now in external Micro SD card, so you can delete this old Storage folder if still in built-in memory card.

All done!

Petesgarden

The suggestion above partly works.  However on my Samsung Galaxy S3 after syncing to the SD card after several songs I get an error from Spotify saying it can no longer sync because it ran out of space.  That is not the case - I have a brand new empty 32 gig SD card.  Googling around shows this error to be common.  File system checks on the SD card show it to be free of errors.

For now I'm back to using the internal phone storage, but would like to see this corrected in an upcoming version of Spotify for Android.  It's sad that Spotify was better on my old Samsung Moment than on this new phone. :(

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Duplicate

Although this idea has been suggested first, I'd like to merge it with a more popular idea to ensure this idea gets the best attention it deserves:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Allow-Android-App-to-move-to-SD-Card/idi-p/16612...

Add your kudos there please - Ideas will be merged and kudos transferred soon! ;)