[Queue] Remove an upcoming Track

I'd love the ability to skip an upcoming track. For example, if I'm listening to music, I can go to the Play Queue to see what songs are coming up. I might like the order of upcoming tracks, except for one or two. It would be great if listeners could skip these tracks. If I've added these tracks to the queue, I'm able to remove them, but if they are upcoming unqueued tracks, there's currently no way for me to skip the track except reshuffling (which loses a song order I might be fond of), deleting the actual track from my playist (bad), waiting to manually skip the song when it comes (inconvenient), or queueing all the upcoming tracks and hen removing it from the new queue (also very inconvenient).

Another aspect of this I think could be helpful would be adding a "Skip" option in the right-click menu. If I'm on the play queue, it would say "Skip", but I'd be able to achieve the same result by just deleting it from my upcoming tracks in the queue. However, if I am in a playlist, using the delete key actual removes the song from my playlist, which I would not want. In this instance, you just right click a song in the playlist and hit "Skip". If the play order remains the same and you do not change what what playlist you're listening to, the song will be skipped next time it is reached.

When a track is skipped, it still appears in its same position in the Play Queue, only grayed out, allowing the user to "Un-Skip" if they choose they would like to listen to the track after all. If the user reshuffles their Play Queue while songs are set to be skipped, the tracks will be reset to normal (not set to Skip). Also, it would be a great addition to this feature if the queued songs were able to be re-ordered among the upcoming tracks.

A song set to be skipped would appear in its same position in the Play Queue until the following song begins playing, at which point it would appear as it would disappear, not showing up in the History, as it was not played.

Double clicking a track set to be skipped in Play Queue automatically un-skips the track and skips to it, the same as any other track in the Play Queue.

NOTE: This is not the same idea as Make entire play queue editable. To be honest, I think that idea is complicated and over-dramatized.

Updated on 2019-08-29

Hello!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form.

Have a nice day :)

Comments
ayneuf

I agree completely. I have been moving out into new playlists as of late, but it's impossible to find one you like 100%. What I would have to do is save the whole playlist as my own playlist and then delete the songs I don't like. This is pretty inefficient when the alternative could just be adding a 'Skip' function to each song. Also, if said playlist gets updated, I wouldn't get the update if I had transfered it myself to my own personal playlist.

liquidice13
Gig Goer

Thanks, ayneuf. My thoughts exactly!

PiotrDab
Regular

Both ideas are great (skipping in the play queue and skipping on the playlist). Also I'd like to choose between "skip once" and "always skip".

liquidice13
Gig Goer
PiotrDab, I definitely see the use in that! However, I feel like sub-choices probably wouldn't settle with Spotify's desire to simplify everything. What if, instead of skip once or skip always, you had the "Skip" option, but you also had the option to deactivate a song, which would grey it out until you reactivate it again? Would that yield the same result?
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-11-13

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. You may also be interested in this idea.

liquidice13
Gig Goer
Thank you, blake! Yes, I did see that idea, as I referenced at the bottom of my original post. However, it differs greatly from mine, and I find it complicated and counter-intuitive. Thanks again for changing the status and your feedback. I really appreciate it.
PiotrDab
Regular

@liquidice13 wrote:
PiotrDab, I definitely see the use in that! However, I feel like sub-choices probably wouldn't settle with Spotify's desire to simplify everything. What if, instead of skip once or skip always, you had the "Skip" option, but you also had the option to deactivate a song, which would grey it out until you reactivate it again? Would that yield the same result?

You're right. I realize my solution would be too complicated to be implemented. But I totally agree that any of the solutions (skip once or always skip) would be useful.

liquidice13
Gig Goer

@PiotrDab :: Yes, I think both could be useful, and I think "Skip" and "Decativate" cover both functionalities.

liquidice13
Gig Goer

Thanks for all the support everyone! Please share with your friends so we can reach 100 kudos for Spotify's further evaluation.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Skip-an-upcoming-track-in-Play-Queue/idi-p...

felix95

Yes, this would be really usefull. I was going to make a post about this as well, but good thing you already did, liquidrice. 

I also read the idea blake linked. Not as good in my opinion. Seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be. The solution in this post is just too simple not to add to the client. Like, imagine you have a playlist you like and you are having a dinner with friends or someone you care about. And you know there is this one song that does not suit the situation very well. By being able to just remove the song from the play queue (instead of waiting for the song to play just to skip it, or start with that song and shuffle the rest) would save the day. Or the night. Or the date. 

I am all fine with just being able to remove a track from the play queue. Nothing more, nothing less. Options are never wrong, though.

Kudos.