Queue should not automatically include what you just listened to

I almost never want to hear an album for a second time immediately after listening to it. After I'm done with an album, I want the album spot in the corner to be blank so that when I queue another album for listening afterwards, I'm not stuck repeating the prior album's tracks. That's just annoying. The queue before this update wasn't perfect, but it was much easier to work with than the current one.

Updated: 2015-10-11

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Community Legend

To be honest I'm struggling a bit to understand your problem.

Could you maybe do a step by step guide on what you think is wrong with the queue with albums of your choice? 🙂

Katie_B

It's not worded well, but I know exactly what they are talking about.  Ever since updating, if I queue up a few tracks, instead of simply ending play once all have been played, suddenly the last album/playlist that I listened to is re-queued - the whole album/playlist.  I already listened to it!  Why does it keep popping up in my queue again every time my queue runs out? It's like somebody decided that it's better to constantly re-queue music I already listened to rather than simply allow the queue to run its course and end.  It's really frustrating because sometimes I just queue a few tracks at a time and this new auto-queue behavior makes it so I can't just listen to one more song without a whole bunch of stuff getting automatically queued up behind it.....stuff I already listened to.

Marco
Community Legend

Alright thanks Katie, I could reproduce that now.

I'm not quite sure if that's a bug or intended - I will escalate it to the staff and see what they have to say about it. 😉

yamham63
Casual Listener

Katie's right, I had really confusing wording haha. But yeah, she definitely knows what I'm talking about. Whatever you listen to is placed in the queue again so if you try to cue in more songs, you're stuck repeating what you listened to before after they're over. The old queue system, while not perfect, made much more sense. Just make like before where once you've finished an album/playlist, it isn't back in the queue again. Or allow us an option that lets us avoid re-queueing.

Marco
Community Legend

The staff is currently looking into it, when there are any news I will let you know!

Until then, I will mark it as new idea.

Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Marco
Community Legend

Alright, I have confirmation from the staff that this is not a bug but indeed intended behaviour after the newest update.

Means for you: if you want to have it back to the old way, keep adding your kudos and comments here please. 😉

kumiponi

Just add an option to turn on/off this behaviour. Call it a "party mode" if you like: at a party you don't want music to stop even if some songs repeat. On the other hand when you're listening music by yourself, you generally don't want playlists to repeat.

kumiponi

I found a work-around to completely clear the Play Queue (to delete even those tracks that you normally cannot remove). Delete the file C:\Users\[Windows user name]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\[Spotify user name]-user\track-player.bnk

Replace [Windows user name] and [Spotify uset name] with your real user names. Notice that the AppData folder is usually hidden by default. The downside in this is that you have to completely close Spotify before you delete the file for the trick to work. You could create a batch script to delete the file automatically, though.

bhoggard

This is a terrible change.  You don't allow us to clear the queue. What if I only want to listen to 3 tracks from a diffrent album after finishing a whole one?

If I queue them, they get added after the first track of the album I just listened to, to be followed by the rest of the tracks from that album.

Mostly I listen to classical music on Spotify, and I often want to listen to one multi-track work (such as a symphony) from an album, not the whole thing.

Related Ideas