Quicksearch sort order

Most of the time when I'm searching for something it's either a song or an artist. The search has a dropdown that gets filled when typing, but it's really useless in it's current form. If I'm trying to search for an artist (for example In Flames) and type the artist's full name, I have to press down arrow EIGHT times to get down to the artists and the one I'm looking for (the only exact match sans one playlist). Personally, I couldn't care less about other people's playlists, especially since they are in no way related to me. Most of the times I feel the "top hit" is someone random's random playlist. Anyway, I feel the sort order is completely wrong. My suggestion:

1. Exact matches first in the 'top hit'
  2. Order of the categories should be something like artists, tracks, albums, playlists (emphasis on playlists being last)
  3. Top hit prioritizing works in the same order (eg. there's an playlist and a track with the same name -> choose track)

That would make the quick search a lot more useful. More so since the real search results don't even show playlists and usually have the thing I'm looking for in top 3 results.

Other option could be to allow changing the order of or hiding the categries with a setting.

This idea has been submitted more than 2 years ago but unfortunately hasn't gained enough kudos during that time (10 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community.

Related Ideas

Comments
eflath

To elaborate on the "exact matches being first hit" point: On the iPad app, I did a search for artist "Pile." The artist I was searching for was 8th or 9th in the list even though it was the only exact match. Other artists nearer to the top of the results just had the word "pile" in their name somewhere.

Search results should always be sorted by relevance.

smezo

Completely agree. I realize that the "top hit" sometimes work but I prefer a straight up list, something like this:

1. Track(s)
2. Artist(s)
3. Album(s)

4. All the other stuff

spotify search.png

Fred
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

This idea has been submitted more than 2 years ago but unfortunately hasn't gained enough kudos during that time (10 kudos/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.

Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community.