[Radio] Playlist-Radio automatic Song selection is worse than normal radio

Hi Spotify Community/Devs

There are at least 2 good  innovations about the radio-idea:

- Create a playlist based on a set of initial data

- Radio never stops and fills up more songs as you progress through it

Now the downsides I recently noticed are the following:

- Radio based on a Playlist still considers songs I already have in other playlists or songs I have listened to first

- Radio is always the same when the same Playlist is used as a base on different days/weeks

One starts a radio to explore songs that fit the style of the songs in the playlist. Talking BPM, Genre, Artist. People dont start a radioplaylist to listen to the same songs over and over. If I would want to do that, I would simply listen to my already filled up playlist. THe need to skip the first 10 songs in a playlist to get new tracks is very annoying and starts making the radio boring.

My suggestions to the algorithm of the radio playlists are the following:

- When choosing a song to put on the radio, value songs that are already in the playlist that builds the base less. Meaning rather put one of the songs from the playlist every 6 songs or something around that. The rest should be music that fits the general style of the base-playlist.

- In addition lessen the weight of the "normal" listening behaviour when creating playlist radios. A radio only based on songs from the base-playlist is more freshening and gives opportunity to explore music in that genre. 

This should also be the case when the end of a playlist is reached. I created a playlist with 2 Songs that are style-similar to songs of another playlist of mine. After the second song is done playing, Spotify goes on with 15 Songs from my other playlist instead of playing the "Recommended" songs displayed when having the playlist open on the desktop app. The way the playlist algorithm currently works bothers me and makes me hate spotify more and more every day. 

I hope this will be heard somewhere 😕

Kind regards,

Hannes D.

Updated on 2021-06-02

Hey @D3xterMorg4n

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

If you think your idea should be considered as separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

Cheers! 

Comments
Ivan
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2021-06-02

Hey @D3xterMorg4n

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

If you think your idea should be considered as separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

Cheers!