[Radio] Radio Station with multiple Artists

The Artist radio function is brilliant but I would like to be able to create a radio station based on more than one artist. For example now I am listening to a station based on The Lumineers and is starting to get a bit tired of slow folk pop songs. But if I could add some Foo Fighters related songs to that mix the radio station would become much better. 

And once this radio station has been created and I have clicked the thumbs up and thumbs down a number of times to make the station even more perfect I would like to save that radio station so I can listen to it again without having to create it once more. 

Updated on 2017-11-10

Hey everyone, we're going to mark this idea as 'Case Closed' today. While this has been a live idea since 2012 it has always been marked as 'Not Right Now'--and we want to be more transparent about the likelihood this will be built. We believe users can easily achieve this by creating a playlist of the multiple artists you'd like to base a Radio station on. Just go to the playlist, add two or more songs (one from each artist you'd like) and then select Go to Playlist Radio.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 1.05.57 PM.png

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

I had the same problem and all you need to do is...

1 Create your own playlist containing only one song from each one of the artists you want.

2 Right Click on your new playlist and choose "Start playlist radio"

dannibambi

fredyrivas is right - it solved the problem for me. That made me take my curse words about Spotify back. I think I am finally ready to let my premium Pandora membership go and just use Spotify... 

DeejayKnight

Here's a question based on the "Start Playlist Radio" option - will it update if you continually add more to the playlist? That would be the bees knees. :D

Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

cparks1000000
Regular
Seriously, adding this feature would raise the number of subscribers to Spotify. The radio kinda sucks right now. The lack of a good radio feature prevented me from getting premium service for an extended time since Pandora filled the gap in my music life better at the time when I was still buying albums. The only way to entice people like I was is to offer a better radio experience.
cparks1000000
Regular

Someone previously said :

1 Create your own playlist containing only one song from each one of the artists you want.

Sure, that works fine if you already know what you want to hear. However, this is a limitation in the design which is unnecessary. 

SteelAce

The above-mentioned workaround does not exist for me. I have spotify premium, but there is no option to start a playlist radio from my playlist or anywhere else that I can see. Was this feature removed for some reason? If so, why? Is there a different work-around for this issue?

I feel it would be negligent for the devs here to dis-regard this option based only on the kudos it has recieved. It is entirely possible that they are missing out on a large number of subscribers that never sign up, let alone post a comment concerning this issue. Most people will just find the service that allows this feature and go with them. I will stick with spotify for a short while longer in the hopes that they address this issue, as opposed to their pre-fab playlist smorgasboard that they have been constructing recently. A slim hope, admittedly, since the original post went up a year and a half ago, and no patch is forthcoming yet.

Having a multiple artist/song option would be a major improvement to the radio feature, which as others have pointed out, is already available on competing platforms. Its omission is rather glaring, especially since I doubt it would require too much coding to implement. Please upgrade the status from "good idea" to "sorry it took so long, we're fxing that now".

lorrimar

Actually this is exactly why I still pay pandora & have not yet been interested in paying for a premium service from spotify. If I can't seed a station with as many artists as I like, I am not interested in the service. 

jasonharper

Just took the time and tried this:

It didn't work. First song was not from any of the bands contributing to my playlist. It was an enjoyable track, and fit the genre of the list, but it wasn't from one of the 6 artists. 

I recently moved over from Slacker Radio, where I've been a paying member for 7 years, so far, this is the one feature I really miss.

Let me pick a handful of artists and just play a mix of their tracks. Seems simple enough.

jonathanemery25

Definitely need ability to add particualr artist or song to Radio Station. The whole point of it is to get a range, within a particular chosen sector, of what you like. Surely the fundamental reason for radio option and the algorithms that go with it are to achieve the above said result, so wouldn't being able to add your own choice to that alogryhtm be (a) very very simple (b) enhamce everyones useage of it and (c) reduce the reliance and background work for the algorythm???

Would definitely push me to Preimum in a heartbeat.