Recommend a song to anyone, not just Spotify users

I just heard a song and thought "I know someone who'd apprieciate this" but alas he doesn't use spotify. If i want to send him a link to this song without causing him the hassle of having to install something i'll have to find it elsewhere i.e. youtube. 

My idea is to allow (subscribing?) Spotify users to generate 1-time URLs for a song or album, which they can send to anyone. The first person to visit the page has access to the linked song(s) in their browser for the duration of the session (until closing the browser window). To prevent abuse set a limit on the number of songs you can link to per day/week/month.

Aside from the obvious awesomeness of being able to send mum/dad a song hassle free, this has some other great benefits. 

- Spotify gets introduced to someone through branding on the linked page. This person's (possibly first) experience with the brand is a song recommended to them specifically by someone they know playing immediately in their browser. 

- Artists get exposure. People more likely to buy their stuff.

- A form of DRM that actually gives people more freedom (sort of...)

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28

Nice idea but I think that would involve getting the permission of all rightsholders first. You can also read about that from an answer of a similar idea about web song samples here.

jimjamjahaa
Regular

Well that's a given, you would need permission from the rights holders. But i don't see how they lose any potential revenue from this. I can easily see how they could gain additional revenue. It's not like i'm going to on a whim drive in to town and buy a physical album to give to someone because i heard a song a they might like. If that friend heard the song and did like it however it would be quite within the realms of possibility that he then goes and buys it, or gets a spotify account, or whatever.

And it's not like i can't already do much the same by linking to a youtube upload of the song.

But then, as i understand it, the powers that be are somewhat stuck in the 90's thinking that they deserve £xx per album and everyone should have to individually buy everything they listen to. They probably see the current spotify model as daylight robbery. 

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!