Related Artists: Algorithm change

I feel like a lot of improvements can be made when it comes to determining "Related Artists," especially in regard to unknown artists. To me, the fact that you need to be in similar shared playlists as other artists sounds like applying for a job that requires x amount of experience (How can I get the experience, if I can't get a job?). That algorithim would work better for artists that already have a fanbase, and ignores undiscovered artists (leaving us no choice but to turn to other apps/websites to promote ourselves).

My suggestion is that the algorithim should be modified to include the artist's genre and geographic location to determine "Related Artists" in order to bring together a community of undiscovered artists who both share the same style of music, and can physically meet (tour together, build a working relationship).

It might sound like a difficult task at first (retroactively putting genre and location markers on the many Spotify Artists), but I suggest that an easier method of making this possible would be to provide artists *who have linked their personal account with their artist account* with the freedom to provide that information themselves [Top 5 genres they listen to / Three genres they think best represent them / City]. All artists who provide this information could be separated into their own pool of artists, so that every "Related Artist" is...

1. Accurate
  2. Geographically similar (All Chicago-based rappers, NYC, Irish Rock Groups, Etc.)
  3. Undiscovered talent
  4. Able to utilize all of the "social" aspects of Spotify,

By connecting unknown artists from similar areas and genres together, you would be making Spotify a one-stop-shop for discoving, connecting, and promoting new talent across the world. 

If the idea takes off, independent and major record labels could categorize their artists similarly. But opening the idea to Artists first (with accounts linked to their personal Spotify accounts) would connect millions of subscribers, turning the massive numbers of artists on Spotify into a tight knit community, which would promote growth of artists and Spotify subscribers.

I sincerely hope that somebody (with the power to make this happen) reads this and agrees that it would be a good idea.

Thank you for considering (or just reading) my idea!

Updated: 2016-01-22

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: New Idea

Marco
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-01-22

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!