Remove Facebook from a Facebook created Account

I have noticed an increase in posts recently relating to people who wish to deactivate their Facebook accounts, but if they do so they will also loose access to their Spotify account, since it was created using their Facebook details. 

There should be an easy way to change your Spotify account, from a Spotify account which is tied to Facebook, to a Spotify (email only) account without the need to go through the quite long process outlined in my tutorial here

This relates quite closely to being able to change your username idea, but I think this is different issue!

Please please please implement this!

Peter

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
chuckduane2
Casual Listener

Can I play my spotify music thru my car speakers?

DiogenesDirkX

Right way:
Use e-mail as standard and Facebook as Liked account, u already have the e-mail of the facebook users... only issue is the users with 2 premium accounts... but i doubt even if u merge these accounts, they will complain.

Using linked accounts, Twitter and Google links are possible... this way extending the social network support. Integrated billing in play store and many others possibilities.

But if this is too difficult there are some Workarounds:

Macgyver 1
Instead of change the account, simply create a link... Changing the login to, two users at same time (facebook and e-mail) obivious trasparent to the user.

Macgyver 2
(Advanced) Create a second field in the BD only for login, if NULL use the the standard, if fill use this username.

Macgyver 3
(Wrong in so many ways) A function for sweep the tables and change the username

Sorry the bad English

bestbackwards
Casual Listener

Sorry to be commenting on an aged post, I just wanted to be clear on something.

So you're basically saying that due to poor database design, you can't do it?

Righty ho.

lakrs

I'm pretty livid about this. The fact that Spotify essentially forces customers to keep a social media account just to continue using a service that we've had for years now is really just a slap in the face. I don't care about the ugliness of the automatically generated username, I care about the fact that I can't deactivate Facebook without repurcussions from a separate service that I pay for. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I see this flaw as intentional and devious.

elysekuf

This is pretty infuriating.

Sure, I could go through the process of opening a new account, transferring over playlists, etc., but I also lose all the data I've accumulated with Spotify and that's not okay. It's a pretty common and understandable thing for people to want to take breaks from social media and to force folks to keep Facebook on in order to not only continue to use their playlists and subscription, but also to continue contributing to their personal predictive data is beyond maddening.

Poor database design upfront or not, whether by innocent oversight or devious intent, this is a pretty critical feature to figure out how to implement and remedy.

claystrange

So, Spotify's answer to this idea is basically that they don't really want to do it, and they just aren't going to right now? Sounds like Spotify has a reallllly lazy  or underfunded database administrator team, made a bad deal with facebook, or just doesn't care.

If you admit you made a mistake (which Spotify basically did), fix that mistake for new users (by allowing email registration without facebook), and then say to those who are affected by the mistake, "Delete your account, lose your playlists, and get a new one", isn't that the same as being a jerk?

Dear Spotify, WHAT IS YOUR LOGIC HERE????????

Just fix it and stop making up excuses about why you can't, and figure out how...

...you can help your customers impacted by your mistake by implementing a correction of the mistake for all customers, not just new ones.

IAMDIFFERENT

I spent the time to register an account here to tell you you will be loosing the data concoction I have been synthesizing. Hope it was worth your binding to the new world data empire.

imark123440542
Casual Listener

oddly enough when I signed up I thought it was an optional choice to use Facebook.

guess what.

I now have 2 Facebook accounts one just for spotify.

which I guess in some ways is good because my music is not tied to my public? Facebook account.

but otherwise it's bad because it takes me 5 hours to figure out how to login to the website or applications.

is it my username, my Facebook account or is it my number string hmmmmm?

it's neither because I'm logged into one Facebook account and I have share buttons disabled.

iremays

Hi, 

Just to be clear, I want to deactivate my Facebook account and keep my Spotify. As far as I understood from the comments above, it's not possible, right? Because on preferences/social media I don't have 'log off' option next to Facebook. It's really annoying.

belliot0

My issue is that I created an account with facebook login, and I no longer have that facebook account.  So there is no way to access my info. Plus when trying to setup a new account, I can not use my email address because its used already.  I wish there was a way to contact someone to remove my old account.  I dont care about the data, I just want my new account setup with my email address and not some random one I had to create for this.