SHOW ME THE MONEY: User Contribution to Artist Payouts

With so much debate as to how much Spotify is paying out to Artists, wouldn't it be interesting if as a user, you could see an approximation of how much your play history has contributed to artist payouts. 

This works 2 ways, it shows transparency from Spotify to reveal that they are paying artists and copyright owners and it also shows users just how much their use of the platform is paying back to content creators. 

This stat may also give more people incentive to upgrade to premium as it is known that Free Spotify payouts are much smaller than Premium Subscriber payouts. Hell, you could even have a leaderboard.  

Updated: 2016-05-05

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
cmrso
I would be interested to see how my subscription costs are distributed. I suspect I am subsidizing all the endless repeat plays of bubble gum pop music plays from others while I would rather my contribution is directly distributed to artists I'm listening to. the only way to circumvent this would be to "cap" artist payouts per user. So I propose Spotify (if they aren't already) basically change their terms (enter more controversey). The thing we don't know was when the whole Taylor Swift debacle went down, how many of those millions of track plays were from people putting songs or albums on repeat? Remember, when I buy an album I pay you ONCE and I get to play it an infinite number of times. So what if Spotify basically says an artist can make $x from any ONE user per album or per track, and x=(a comparable amount that the artist would have received from a sale of that album). So if I put an album on repeat for a million plays the rest of the spotify paying community doesn't have to subsidize my excessive consumption habits. Now... maybe there are already mechanisms in place to protect against this and I understand the incredible complexity it might take to track every users' track plays and distribute funds accordingly only to those respective artists, never mind renegotiating license deals (which is probably the non starter) this would offer unparalleled transparency and a lEbel plaYing field with the old record store model. We need to solve for the problem of artists saying "hey I had 10 million plays and only got $15" it empowers spotify if they can respond (for instance) "well all those plays came from 3 users, so it's as if you got $5 per album sale to each of those 3 users - more than your record company would typically give you."
twnielsen

I agree, it certainly would be interesting to be able to somehow ensure the plays you generate for specifc artists get to them specifically. However, as you say, that would be a highly complex system to manage and highly subject to controversey. 

As an album listener, I agree my $10/month should be going to support the 1-3 different records I'll spend the most time listening to in a given month but, I suppose it works both ways. The pool of money from subscriptions and Ad dollars gets distributed based on plays. The big artists generate the most activity on Spotify (from a plays perspective) and therefore keep the service up. The artists that are less "popular" get a piece of the pie for the plays they generate which to me, is fair. 

There's so many ways you can slice it. My "IDEA" is purely based on a data insight curiosity. I want to know personally, how much my plays for bands I love, have earned them. Over time, I'd like to compare that to buying 1 record from them for $12.00 over the span of let's say 3 years between albums and see how much that equates to in payouts vs. the repeat plays on Spotify of current and past work. 

Tell you friends about this idea and let's get it considered!! 

Marco
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea and edited the tags of the title to make it easier to find via search. 😉

aariel12

I would like a portion of my personal premium controbution 10$ a month to go directly to those artists that I listen to the most  =( 

And I want to know that it's actually going to them. They made the music I'm listening to and they deserve some of the $

Marco
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-05-05

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!