Save shuffle setting for each playlist

Some of my playlists are albums, which I like to listen to in the order in which the tracks are laid out - this is particularly important in some concept albums or soundtracks.

Some of my playlists are very large random collections of songs, which I like to be shuffled.

I'd like the shuffle setting to be saved for each playlist - so I can have my soundtracks played in order, but still get my other collections shuffled.

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2017-11-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
gmathis
Regular

This is an important usability improvement.

My two most common activities in Spotify are shuffling my Starred playlist ("play me a random mix of stuff that I like") and listening to specific albums ("play this album straight through"). But I always forget that I have to toggle Shuffle to keep Spotify from playing the album in random order (hardly ever what you'd want, I expect). I'm sure many other users have the same use case and same frustration.

The minimal feature would seem to me to be to default to playing any new album or playlist unshuffled.

When a user toggles Shuffle while playing a playlist or taps "Shuffle Play", this setting would be remembered cross-device for that playlist.

Some possible refinements (gold-plating?):

• Default to shuffling certain special playlists which are not explicitly ordered when created (Starred, Songs and Local Files in My Music, Top Tracks in user profiles, etc.)
  • Allow shared / published playlists to have a default specified by the creator (is this a bucket of tracks or a mix?)

Thanks for your work on such a great service and set of apps!

mattgreenrocks

How this is implemented baffles me.

Some albums, especially concept albums, must be played in sequential order. Playlists, on the other hand, benefit from shuffle. As it stands now, users must remember the current shuffle status and toggle it on and off manually. The shuffle play button is great; why not default shuffle to off unless users hit that?

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2015-03-31

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2017-11-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.