Search function for BMW Connected Drive

The new Spotify integration with Connected Drive on BMW works really well! EXCEPT that there is no 'SEARCH' tab so I can only view my saved music and pre-selected genres and playlists. This means you can't search for any artist/album/genre while on the go which limits the usefulness of the app compared with pre-connected drive integration.

Updated: 2015-11-16

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Search-function-in-BMW-Connected-Drive/idi-p/1239537

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Carina
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Hey @raijin ,

I've marked this as a new idea and changed slightly the title to make clear you want a search function and not just the integration of spotify (-> Integration of Spotify and BMW Connected Drive).

eeandee
Regular
Also only shows about ten playlist entries at a time. I have over 490 playlist. It always starts at the top so there's a lot of scrolling while driving.
Carina
Community Legend

Hey @eeandee ,

did you know you can organize your playlists in folders? Press SHIFT+CTRL/CMD+N (or click on "file" > "create new playlist folder") in the desktop client. This will help you with your scrolling problem :)

eeandee
Regular
Actually I have each album as a playlist in alphabetical order by artist
Carina
Community Legend

@eeandee  then use the folders for the letters? for example A (artists starting with A), B (artists with b), C.. still faster and safer then scrolling from the top to bottom.

MasterYous
Regular
I would like to say thanks and great work on getting Spotify working with iDrive! I have wanted this feature for a long time and had even resorted to using Pandora in the car due to a lack of integration. Now I'm back to using Spotify and I couldn't be happier. There is something strange that happens when I use the integration however. After a short time, all idrive spotify controls become non-responsive- I can't skip, pause, access my playlists, or get to radio. In fact at times, I can't even tell which lists it's playing from. A strange popup sometimes appears and displays a long error. When this happens Spotify ceases to work entirely. I hope the team is still actively looking at bugs because this integration is very promising!!!
MasterYous
Regular
quote: After a short time, all idrive spotify controls become non-responsive- I can't skip, pause, access my playlists, or get to radio. In fact at times, I can't even tell which lists it's playing from. A strange popup sometimes appears and displays a long error. When this happens Spotify ceases to work entirely. I hope the team is still actively looking at bugs because this integration is very promising!!!

Apparently this is all magically cured by using iOS 8 devices.  I tested with my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.0.2) and everything works as expected.  With my old iPhone 4 (iOS 7.1.1) the controls lock up frequently and calls don't even interrupt the music stream.

I dunno, I realize iOS 8 is the "here and now" but it sure would be nice to get some iOS 7 love since it's still supported by Apple on some of their devices.

Iwan

Finally a decent working spotify in my BMW only thing missing is the search functionality :D 

doyle_am
Casual Listener

Is there any update on search functionality being added to Spotify when connect to a BMW?

Napster has it and it works brilliantly for them, so why are Spotify so late to the party?

Casual Listener

Any updates on this? Search function is considered a new idea in November 2014? A new idea?

I would sincerly expect that this would be a feature. Competitors have it... why not spotify?

Please work on this soon.