Separate Artist with Same Name

Having used Spotify for a while, I think a major improvement would be to implement some form of Artist Splitting where the artist is of the same name. This would greatly improve experience especially as artist radio and related artists would actually be relevant!

Perhaps something like this: (excuse the poor mockup), with a splitter for each artist of the same name, with their albums, related artists etc below?

ProposedLayout.jpg

Hi everyone,

For any metadata-related questions about artists, tracks, albums etc., please check out this link.

Thanks!
Comments
blau
Regular

I would so love to see this within the next update.

Some of the Artsist I'm listening to have a name also used by another interpret. When I'm searching for different songs from  this Artist and start to find more songs I really don't like than songs I like, it's really annoying. And It's also kind of confusing to have sometimes more albums from Artists you're not searching for than from the one you know. For example: Casper.

Different profiles with picture and genre tag would solve this probleme.

Sultanoshred

A good solution would be to add the genre in parentheses next to multiple artist names. Like "Ascension(Rock/Metal)" and "Ascension(Electronic/Trance/Dance)" Then I just click the one I want and I am taken to a seperate page for each.

user-removed
Not applicable

@ Sultanoshred, that might work, would you suggest that is how they appear in the search? As for related artists to work properly the artists need completely separating! 

yvan303

I know there is a lot of music, and new uploaded music everyday, and I know sometimes is a mess. But I think Spotify is big enough to make a difference between some groups that may have the same name.

A particular case is "Underworld". An electronic cult band which name has been totally raped!!!

I go the artist page and I see this new release on 2012 called "My Sunshine (feat Sky)".

To my surprise, this is a really comercial eurodance track that of course don't belong to real Underworld band.

I think it's very important to make different artist pages for identical artists names. There are not much cases, but enough to make angry to a lot of fans and even label companies...

Anyone could do something about that?? I think it's disgusting!! Smiley Frustrated

Cheers!

yvan303

@Sultanoshred and @nlao, that could work for some bands, but look at the case that I told before about "Underworld".

Both bands with same name and the same genre (Electronic music). Maybe can work like other websites like discogs.com do. They add a number into brackets when there are duplied names of artists (which are different bands).

So when you make a search into Spotify, you should find Underworld and Underworld (2) in this particular case, in a window like the picture uploaded by "nlao" user.

The most of the times, one band is the most famous, and that one use to be the one without brackets.

skeeder

HEY SPOTIFY, DO THIS!

I listen at work, and did you the group Bond is a rapper and a group of string players? 

Ackward.

user-removed
Not applicable
@yvan and @sultanoshred. There are two separate issues here. But both are related and likely cannot be unlinked. 1) Search results for artists with same name. 2) Artists with similar music on one page. 1) A possible solution is to have the search split them by listing genre and location in adjacent columns, so you can find the right band. I don't think renaming the band to (1) and (3) etc would help as I know I would find that confusing!
bsolo

Here's one to add to the list: Queen.

The band behind Bohemian Rhapsody and the Flash Gordon Soundtrack, whose lead singer has been dead for decades, did NOT, in fact, release an explicit rap album in 2012. That would be somebody else entirely.

The problem actually goes the other way, too - not only do we have two "Queen"s on the same page, we have separate pages for "Iron and Wine" and "Iron & Wine". Same for Coheed and/& Cambria.

The artist pages seem to be collected by string-matching on the artist name. Doesn't it make sense to establish the grouping by some kind of independent ID? There's some human input required, sure - someone has to actually listen to that other "Queen" album and make the judgement call that yeah, not the same band - but I think it's worth the effort.

Hell, we (the users) can do the actual listening; just give us a menu option to flag an album as "incorrect grouping" and you can just review them later. Crowdsourcing!

But yeah, this is a huge problem. Please fix!

Juju

I still don't get this completely. I mean, most cds have an standard artist number embedded into the files.   But I'll quit on this topic for now and ask this:

How is the "cover" cd selected for the artist ?  I thought it was by date of release, that the artist's most recent release showed up as the skin. But no; my husband's new cd is listed under the cover art for the other Dan Stevens, which helps us not at all with branding or people looking for his new cd.  So, not only is a blues album mixed in with his americana alt/country,    we have to live with some other guys art to represent his music ?

NeilParsons
Casual Listener

It seems Spotify has a lot of work to do to fix this issue. Because I want to be Fish (ex-Marillion singer) catalogue, unless there is only an album of him (Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors - Spotify) separate from christian / spiritual group called also Fish that have some albums mixed.

And also Jon Anderson of Yes progressive rock group fame have in his catalogue two same name intruders which albums doesn't belong to his discography:

here

and  here