Shuffle all songs by artist on Google Assistant

Currently, when you ask your Google Home or Assistant to 'play [artist]' or 'play all songs by [artist]', or even 'shuffle [artist]', Spotify will respond by playing a curated playlist called 'This is [Artist]'. As an example, saying 'play all songs by Radiohead' will not actually play all of Radiohead's catalogue - only a selection of around 30 songs.

On its own, the 'This is Artist' selection is not inherently a bad idea, but it means that there is no way to specify that you want to hear all of an artist's catalogue.

When a user explicitly asks to shuffle an artist, or to play everything by an artist, Spotify should oblige, by playing everything that artist has to offer. Otherwise, I and my family have found that eventually you've heard all of the same songs in the 'This is [Artist]' playlist several times, to the point where it appears Spotify's selection is extremely limited.

Given the simplicity to implement this feature, as the Google Assistant will make a different callback when asked to shuffle an artist, this seems like a basic feature that is much needed.

Updated on 2020-01-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-05-27

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2020-01-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!