Shuffle weight: Played songs less likely to be next

I think that using a random number generator or whatever to let spotify shuffle your songs, we should have something that changes based on what has been played.

I was listening to a playlist of about 200 songs last night, but it seemed to cycle through the same 50 odd songs occasionally throwing in some of the other 150.

For example, say we had a ten song playlist, song A-J, a random playlist might look like this:

AJBCAJDCBJEFAHAJG

It would be annoying having the same song (like A in this example) repeat so many times.

How about instead of this, we weight the songs likelihood of being selected as the next song based on whether it has been played before?

So if we assign each song a value of 1 to start with. A is played and accordingly it's weight is knocked down to 0.7 and the other 9 songs go up to 1.3 chance of being played relative to the starting value of 1.

It would mean that your shuffle playlist is way more likely to shuffle the songs, but with less repeats, and songs that are repeated multiple times will fall further down the pecking order to prevent the annoying recurrence of the same song.

I think an algorithm like this would be better than a random shuffle.

Updated: 2016-02-23

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
rednblu
Roadie

Stop Repeating!  Yes!  That is the cry!  I have accused the "random shuffle"-- but when I have checked on  last.fm  what is played over the long-term, I have been impressed with the genius of the Spotify "random shuffle".

What I have found in each case when I accused the "random shuffle", I always had "duplicates" in my playlist.  If you will right-click on your problem playlist and "Make Public" and then give me the "Copy HTML Link", I will find the hated duplicates in your playlist for you.

Weaves80s
Casual Listener

There are no duplicates on my playlist. It is the way the algorithm handles shuffling of songs, and it would be a pretty easy fix for a skilled developer. There are numerous suggestions on these boards, mine is taking a slightly different tack with a weighting system.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. ;)
You might also want to add your kudos to a similar idea about a Smart shuffle function and a manual weighted shuffle.

rednblu
Roadie

SHUFFLE repeats?  Maybe you have turned on the "Repeat" option of the Shuffle.

Please check under "Playlist" in the upper left.  Please make sure that the "Repeat" line is Not checked, ok?

(Sometimes I accidentally turn on the "Repeat" option of my Shuffle by accidentally hitting Ctrl-R instead of Ctrl-F where I am trying to get the Filter on a playlist or folder.)

jackbavaro
Casual Listener

I had a 17 hour playlist prepared for a party Saturday and played it on Shuffle.  There are no duplicates in the list.  I was very disappointed to find that the same songs kept repeating and then I was unable to even skip them.  So I had to keep starting the list over, which only led to more repeats.  This was distracting for me and annoying for my guests.  I had hoped to have a seemless music experience and not to have to think about it all day.

MattSuda
Community Legend
jackbavaro
Casual Listener

Thanks.  I guess I'm not looking for random so much as wanting the entire list to play once before repeating a song.

Tobraham
Gig Goer

I posted this elsewhere and it was suggested I post it here as a comment, so here it is:

I wrote a music playlist app years ago called Tobasco's Amazing Clockwheel which was still getting 300 downloads a month after 15 years until I pulled it a few months ago. It was simple playlist generator that guaranteed no repeats within a certain amount of time. It was extremely easy to build and eliminated hearing the same songs over and over, which is an unfortunate result of a computers' ability to perform a true shuffle.

It kills me that I can have a playlist of over 1000 songs yet still hear some songs dozens of times in a month and other songs zero times.

By simply sorting the songs in a playlist by the number of times it's been played in ascending order (least played at the top) to assist you in selecting a song, you can greatly improve the song selection.

My algorithm would select songs with the lowest weight. A rough idea of how weight is manipulated goes like this (would need to be tweaked for perfection):

1. All songs start with a weight of 0 (so they all have an equal chance of being chosen)
  2. Every time a song is played, its weight increased by 4 and every additional song by that artist increased by 2 (thus making that song have to wait longer to be played again while we select other less-played songs from the playlist to add to the queue and that artist come up less frequently since s\he has already been chosen recently.)
  3. If an artist hasn't been played in over an hour, all of his/her songs are decreased in weight by 1 (thus now alowing that artist to creep back into the selection pool). This requires a timestamp of the last time that song / artist was played.
  4. Select any song at random with a score of 0, queue it and update the weight.
    1. If no song has a weight of zero, select randomly from the next lowest weight

This method would at the very least, guarantee a huge decrease in the number of songs from your playlist being skipped over time.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-02-23

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!