Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] CURIOUS TO HEAR WHAT PERSON NEXT TO YOU LISTENING TO? Music Sharing

Hello,

Just imagine a situation:

You are sitting in the bus. And listening to your favourite music on headphones. When you notice a cute person who is sitting in the bus too, and really enjoying the music, while shaking head with the beat. So curious.. WHAT SHE/HE IS LISTENING TO?!
How to know that? You take your phone from your pocket and open spotify app. There you see everyperson in 50m radius who is using Spotify and shares their music. And you see that she is listening for A-HA - TAKE ON MEE!. You connect to her music and listen to this song also. And when the bus stops, you leave it and say to her/him: ARE YOU PLANNING TO GO TO A-HA CONCERT THIS SUMMER? I LOVE THIS SONG TOO.
And you live happily ever after ❤️
THE END (Or maybe just a beginning 🙂
___

So, the thing is : a possibility to look for surrounding spotify users and see what they are listening. A possibility to connect to their song. A possibility to turn ON or turn OFF music sharing (maybe you would like a private moment, and dont want to see everyone listening for your "shame songs" haha!

I personally really really often pass a person with headphones and am very very curious, what they are listening to that moment.

LIKE THIS IDEA? PLEASE VOTE UP AND LETS CREATE EVEN BETTER, CONNECTED SPOTIFY COMMUNITY 

Cheers,
Arturas from Lithuania

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Jᴀᴄᴋ
I would love to be able to do that!
MaxieWoxy

This idea is a bit creepy.

connor321

If it shows "nearby songs" while keeping users anonymous, that'd be cool. If it showed your username by default, that's a no-no.

I'd be really down with this tbh, especially while travelling.

TomLegend
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

We really love the discussion around this idea, but we're going to close it. There are a ton of ways to share what you're listening to from within the app. To check out how to show your friends what you're listening to check out this page.

Thanks for visiting the Idea Exchange!

Jwferlise

The app "soundwave" existed entirely for this function, until Spotify bought the company in 2016. The app no longer exists and the function was never implemented. It seems like an easy jump and one people would really dig. The idea already existed and will likely become a trendy feature of a streaming service in the future, so Spotify should make the leap first considering they own the company that made it happen years ago.

SashaKolesova

There is the same kind of feature on Google Music and it's wonderful to use it. It would be great to see it coming in Spotify too.

dantaylr

I would love to see the playlist the coffee shop I walk into is playing, or at least the song. Currently I have to Shazam and then link it back into Spotify which is kinda clunky.

Jose_M
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2020-09-22

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form 🙂

Have a nice day!

Mihail
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-07-16

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Upon reviewing this idea again we were made aware of some privacy issues due to which implementing this will not be possible.

Thanks for your understanding!

GummyGum

I know Spotify already has something similar to exploring music with the search option and you see all the different types of music. I was thinking to take this a step further and making so Spotify listeners can view people around them in the real world that are listening to music on Spotify and see what they are listening to. So maybe someone is at the gym and want to find some new music to listen to or they see someone jamming out to some music. All they need to do is open up Spotify and see what the people around them are listening to. I know that people are always curious on what other people are doing or listening to. That’s just a basic human trait most of us have. This can also help people maybe connect with others without actually knowing the person first. You could also add a message feature to it so people can talk about their music or what they are listening to or more. It could also help bring better social confidence since these two people would have a similar interest. Therefore help people make friends or more. If done right I believe this could really take off and put Spotify really far above Apple Music or other music apps.