Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Evita_Marita

Danke für den Tipp, Spotiy auf englisch umzustellen. Da hätte ich auch selbst draufkommen können. 🙂 Aber das kann es ja eigentlich auch nicht sein.

Mich nervt das Gegendere und vor allem der Genderstern unendlich, so dass ich Spotify deshalb kaum noch genutzt habe.

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-01-19

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Currently there are no plans for changing the German version of the app. As such, we're closing this idea.

Should this change in the future, we'll make sure to post an update.

tomjoe-ler

Wow, that's really blatant, now that this idea is getting more and more likes, you guys are closing this case. That's ridiculous and disappointing. Seems like you guys are afraid of too many people asking you to at least turn off this non-German. Good thing I don't have to look at this anymore as a non-paying subscriber. I guess it's like people say, you're a really ideologized club, so sad.

Steffi2022

Now that Spotify has closed this too soon I decided to quit from Spotify. They don't deserve my money.

Thosi

As I am sure I speak for 80% of your community I would like to adress the issue of displaying a grammatically wrong way of designation with a gender star in the german language. To explain the issue, in german this means you would not say actor as the  correct form, but act*ress to „include“ everyone, wich is in itself absurd and is proven to exlude foreign readers, analphabets, blind people etc. I would suggest bringing up an option where you can choose wich way of displaying the grammatical gender you want to see. The standard neutral way of saying actor for all actors or the ideological and wrong way of saying act*tress. Since this will be a democratic way of deciding, you‘ll see how many people tend to prefer the first one. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Expilot

Hi there, as I told in the headline I would like to suggest to make the Genderstar an optional thing.

Since I'm cursed with not being able to read properly and have to have my mobile phone read things out loud it really makes it hard to understand anything. That kind of speech is making my daily life hard and I unsubscribed Spotify until that changes, because it's not usable or enjoyable anymore. That is not barrier free. It creates even more barriers, especially for handicapped people like me. 

I'm asking for a normal German language setting/option instead of this ideology, which only 18% of the German population wants.

Thank you very much! 

Zwi3b3lhunt3r

Are you serious? The only reason you closed this idea ist because you are afraid that you actually have to face this issue! Your explanation for closing is ridiculous. What happened here is censorship and anti-democratic behavior at its best! If your company wants to support dangerous left-ideologic ideas, just communicate that open with the users. I will cancel my subscribtion and I'm sure I'll not be the only one. Spotify should be a place for music and not for political propaganda! That's just sad and unbelievable, I'm speechless. 

Josepherus

You can't be serious. What is the harm in adding an Option to choose between german and german with gender**bleep**? Or let us switch language like it is possible on PC client. This Statement is just ridiculous.

thomrueck

Quit the subscription to spotify. Was too anoying to read, and since they won't change it, i won't pay to see this annoyance everytime. 

Pascal_

🤝