[Social] Music Sync Chatroom

Hello Spotify,

My friends and I have a really good idea that we think could revolutionize how people use and enjoy Spotify. Everyone likes to share their new favorite song with a friend. Why not add a service that allows friends to listen to the same songs or playlists at the same time online? The Music Sync feature would be just that. Someone could use this sharing service by inviting a fellow spotify premium member into a party or session that has music playing. All the music would be controlled by either the group leader (DJ) or it could be opened up to any member in the group. The session would play either individual songs, or playlists, and each person in the group would be listening to the same songs at the exact same time. There would also be a chat function in which people could communicate with one another about the songs. The users present within one of these syncing sessions would also be able to drag and drop song requests into a song request box. The leader (DJ) would then be able to choose to add the requested songs into the song cue. The requests that are presented to the (DJ) can be voted on by the members of the party with a thumbs up or down. If a song is requested by more than one person, rather than listing that song again, it will be given an additional thumbs up for each request. In a large party the chat may get chaotic and the song request approvals may move too slowly, in order to remedy this there could also be a moderator feature. The leader (DJ) could select members of the party to be upgraded to being moderators, these individuals would now have the power to kick out rowdy chat members, and approve as well as add new song requests to the que.

This music sharing and syncing feature would not only allow people to share music with friends, but it could also be a fun way of finding an artist or musicians that you had never heard of before. I have friends that live far away from me and I like to share new music with them all the time. Rather than trying to sync an online music video at the same time to listen to a song together, this feature would be a fun and easy way to do so.  It could not only be a fun way to listen to music with friends, but could also be a way for people to DJ parties or gatherings easily. In fact, celebrity DJs may even want to host public shows through this new Spotify feature. This would be extremely convenient for people that can’t travel to live shows, and a great way for DJs to interact with their fans on a whole new level. As an avid music lover and a huge supporter of Spotify, I feel like a new feature like this one could make something that is already great, even greater.

P.S. Please check out the attachments below in which my friend Anthony Tran used Photoshop to create what some of these features and settings could look like.

Thank you for listening,
Zach Gergurich

CHAT OPTIONS.png
SONGREQUEST.png
MOD SETTINGS.png

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search.
I've also merged the idea with a similar idea about a Music Chatroom.

ZachGergurich
Casual Listener

@marco Hello, I just checked out soundrop, and they are somewhat similar. It's really difficult coming up with something that no one has ever thought of or done before lol. With that being said, I think our idea has potential to be better than soundrop. I read a lot of reviews for it and the app hasn't been working for a lot of people. Maybe they are updating it, idk, I just really like the idea of friends being able to listen to the same music at the same time online, and chat about the experience. I hope spotify sees this idea, or rolls with soundrop, because I really think there is a lot if potential here.   :)

wahoo650
Roadie

Good Idea! Also, Soundrop requires a Facebook or Twitter account to log in, and with this "Music Sync" feature, people could be able to participate using only their Spotify account. This would make it good for people that either don't have Facebook or Twitter or don't want to log in to anything else.

Dara2010

Had this same idea yesterday with friends as we were all sending audio clips to each other on whatsapp. Would be great to chat and share music at the same time!

Great idea!

ZachGergurich
Casual Listener
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the feedback. Who knows, maybe spotify will pick this idea up or improve soundrop with a few of these ideas.
cerebellum42

There is another fairly similar competing implementation at plug.dj that you might want to check out. They pull their music from third party sources though, imagining something like this backed the Spotify library = truly awesome

EvanCox

I often find myself sharing music back and forth multiple times a day with friends to the point where we talk on Skype etc. about what songs we're listening to.

It'd be great if there was a music chatroom where I could join with a group of spotify friends and have a shared playlist that we can update and listen to synchronized. I could stop a song, start a new one etc.

One of my favorite experiences in life is sharing music, but also being able to experience the music with that person while they listen. I think spotify is great for sharing, but not experiencing with others. It would also be a great "get premium for this" feature on the business side ;)

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea.

Since the Spotify Soundrop app sadly announced it will stop its service, this idea here requests to create a similar feature within the Spotify client.

einexile
Music Fan

Soundrop was one of the best things about Spotify, but I'm not sure it was what OP is asking for here. In fact I don't understand what OP is asking for here. You want to listen to music with your friends? Have them over. Better yet, get on Skype and wish you could have them over.

The beauty of Soundrop, the beauty of the Internet for that matter, is (or was) that it allowed for interaction with the whole world, not just your buddies from work and the folks you remember from school. I can see what those people are listening to in my feed. If I ever see them rocking out to something I haven't heard hundreds of times, I'll phone them up or message them on Facebook.

The beauty of the Internet was meeting strangers who were sort of like you, and learning about all the things that made them different from you. The absolute most important of these things was their record collection. Music they had loved all their lives but which you didn't love yet, and vice versa.

We don't really have that anymore - but for a fleeting moment we did, on Soundrop.

Spotify could bring this back with a basic chatroom functionality such as we see in every online game, every hole in the wall social app on iOS and Android, and even the most rinkydink online services all the way back to Q-Link and GEnie some 25 years ago.

If Soundrop could manage a broad spectrum of chatrooms tied in to the Spotify library with interactive queues and voting, you'd think while we wait around hoping for a replacement that Spotify could at very least sport us a 20th century chatroom.

Please?

misv
Music Fan

Yeah, I support this idea... I loved listening to music with my friends while we played games together, or just while we did seperate things, we could still listen to the same music. Also if you're busy, it's great to have your own personal radio moderated by your friends.

Removing apps, and thus removing soundrop removes a big part of what spotify has become to me, and I'm sure many others too. I understand spotify wants to be a social experience, because of their integration with social media and the friends feed etc, but that isn't really a social experience, it's just a news feed. Soundrop was a social experience, if spotify literally was just soundrop, and nothing more, just spotify's library and soundrops functionality, I'd be more pleased than I am now.