Announcements

[Social] Music Sync Chatroom

Hello Spotify,

My friends and I have a really good idea that we think could revolutionize how people use and enjoy Spotify. Everyone likes to share their new favorite song with a friend. Why not add a service that allows friends to listen to the same songs or playlists at the same time online? The Music Sync feature would be just that. Someone could use this sharing service by inviting a fellow spotify premium member into a party or session that has music playing. All the music would be controlled by either the group leader (DJ) or it could be opened up to any member in the group. The session would play either individual songs, or playlists, and each person in the group would be listening to the same songs at the exact same time. There would also be a chat function in which people could communicate with one another about the songs. The users present within one of these syncing sessions would also be able to drag and drop song requests into a song request box. The leader (DJ) would then be able to choose to add the requested songs into the song cue. The requests that are presented to the (DJ) can be voted on by the members of the party with a thumbs up or down. If a song is requested by more than one person, rather than listing that song again, it will be given an additional thumbs up for each request. In a large party the chat may get chaotic and the song request approvals may move too slowly, in order to remedy this there could also be a moderator feature. The leader (DJ) could select members of the party to be upgraded to being moderators, these individuals would now have the power to kick out rowdy chat members, and approve as well as add new song requests to the que.

This music sharing and syncing feature would not only allow people to share music with friends, but it could also be a fun way of finding an artist or musicians that you had never heard of before. I have friends that live far away from me and I like to share new music with them all the time. Rather than trying to sync an online music video at the same time to listen to a song together, this feature would be a fun and easy way to do so.  It could not only be a fun way to listen to music with friends, but could also be a way for people to DJ parties or gatherings easily. In fact, celebrity DJs may even want to host public shows through this new Spotify feature. This would be extremely convenient for people that can’t travel to live shows, and a great way for DJs to interact with their fans on a whole new level. As an avid music lover and a huge supporter of Spotify, I feel like a new feature like this one could make something that is already great, even greater.

P.S. Please check out the attachments below in which my friend Anthony Tran used Photoshop to create what some of these features and settings could look like.

Thank you for listening,
Zach Gergurich

CHAT OPTIONS.png
SONGREQUEST.png
MOD SETTINGS.png

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Casual Listener
April Fools! Anthony lol
Music Fan

This is really a great idea and I wish it will be implemented soon. 🙂

And it could be a great idea to create open groups and be able to post the link on social networks or forums. Like the broadcast system of (dead) Grooveshark.

Have you ever shared  headphones with a friend like this? Sometimes you want to share the moment with them. Let's improve this.

Sharing headphones

The idea is simple:

1_An user can create a "music room" and invite friends with their nicknames to join(they can accept or deny).

2_Everybody can leave the room whenever they want.

3_All the participants listen to the same track at the same time.

4_Play queue is created for the music room, everyone can see it but only the creator/administrator can manage the song order or delete tracks.

5_When you create a "music room" you can choose between "only the creator can choose the song/playlist " or "the participants can add songs to "what to hear next""  and then if a person called A adds a song, it is added as the directly following song, and if after that, a person called B wants to add another song, it is added next to the A's song and so on, so everybody can share what they like in real time.

6_In the play queue you can see who chose every song because the user's name appears next to the song as "suggested by participant_username".

7_Everybody can see who is in the room (maybe you like what  someone usually suggests and you wanna see their profile to follow them).

8_If you are not connected to Internet (wifi/4g), you stay in the room (maybe is just a moment of conection lost) but you cant interact with the room (cant listen to music, cant see the play queue or the members). If you dont have conection, people in the room can see down your name "conexion lost/out-sync".

9_Maximus amount of participants? 8 will be awesome. If more than 8, the administrator should be able to put special permissions in a certain person so he can kick participants (but not the creator/main-administrator) or manage the song order.

10_ The creator/administrator can kick participants, delete the room or leave the room putting somebody else as administrator so the room exists without him.

11_ A participant can't add a song that is already in the play queue or if it was recently reproduced. 

12_ A participant can thump up the current song and everybody can see the total amount of thumps up so everybody know what songs are the most liked.

13_ A chat system will be awesome but that is way more complicated to achieve.

Please, think about this. Spotify will be the first music streaming service to implement this.

Let's share headphones a Spotify session.

Sorry for the bad English.

I've been wanting the ability to listen to the same songs at the same time for a while. It would help connect me to my friends on the east coast, Europe, etc. Also, I hate listening to music with one earphone in and being able to sync with your friends that are nearby, it would allow us to all have a real interactive listening experience. I was just reminded of the need for this function because it would be awesome to listen to through Kanye's new album with my friend next to me at work.

This absolutely needs to happen! I work in an open plan office where previously we used to listen to stream a team playlist to a Bluetooth speaker, however as the team's grown we've had to move to a new part of the office where not everyone is accepting of this. Understandably people work in different ways, but the team playlist was a big part of fostering team unity, creativity, and morale. 

Would love to see this feature in the roadmap. 

I hope this becomes a thing. I am constantly sharing music. I wish I could just join a music "room" and listen to the same thing as once. A communication feature would just make it even better. I also suggest to have both the ability to have one person to lead the group, and to be able to have a song voting system. Hope this catches on with the devs, it would be a great adition!

Regular

I would also love to see this implemented. Spotify's leg above services like Apple Music has always been its social aspect, in my opinion. They really took a few step backwards when they removed the Top Tracks in Your Network feature, but implementing a Soundrop-like feature would be a great way for them to be back on top of their social game again.

Casual Listener

People have pointed so many great uses for this! Can only imagine how many new subscribers this would drive spotify too. I wouldnt ever want to switch to a new music service if they did. I really do hope they implement this.

check this girl out -https/soundcloud.com/user-677689165/taylor-swift-style-cover

Simultaneous listening for groups / teams is a great idea. I like the comment above suggesting structuring around a 'virtual room' that an owner/admin can set up. When the room is 'open' i.e live, anyone joining the room hears what the current track playing is.