Spotify Jukebox: Queue & Upvote

I have an idea where the Spotify app for phones can have a "Jukebox" mode where you type in a 4-6 digit pin number to connect to someone who has Spotify running on a computer, so when you're throwing a party or a dance you can add songs to the queue. I suppose something similar can be done with a collaborative playlist, but with a separate mode you can choose to only give your pin to people at the party so people not there can't edit your que, add some sort of democracy system where people can upvote the songs they want to hear most, or have something where the person running the Spotify service can create a playlist that people can vote on which songs they'd like to hear but only out of that playlist (this way you don't have someone playing Rage Against the Machine at a kid's birthday party). It's just an idea that I've had. I've seen one other person post something similar but his suggestion was buried and didn't get enough Kudos.

Have a nice day,

gdogpwns123

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-11-23

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. ;)
This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

sten_svk

I wish something like this would come to TVs and media centres like Apple TV etc. I understand that it's not easy to do everything for every platform but using TV as big-screen jukebox would be amazing.

agigliotti
Casual Listener

I love this idea, in fact a year ago I was working on an application called "Enqueue" that would do exactly this!!

I wanted it to be hosted by Spotify but things fell through. The features of our idea can be implemented into Spotify's application as "Party Mode", "Jukebox" "Queue" or any other name similar to the way running mode was added recently. 

Spotify can add a location based collaborative playlist-making mode that is great for hanging out with friends, road trips, parties, and social events. Users will be able to add their favorite songs to a shared playlist within a constantly updating live stream. This provides a solution to the fight over whose music to play in a social setting by providing a way for everyone’s tastes to be given a chance. The playlists will be location based and named by the user whose phone or computer is hooked up to the speakers. Their phone will act as the hub—they create the “queue” and the other users present will link to it  with a code and add the songs of their choice. Everyone can see all the songs that have been added, in order and by whom. From there they can up-vote the songs they would like to hear sooner and like/star the songs they would like to save the title/artist names to look back at later  or add to spotify playlist from within the app.

Users will not be able to see which songs have the most upvotes, nor will they know which song is going to play next, each song will be revealed one at a time. Instead songs that are receiving votes will have some sort of color changing effect that signifies its popularity in a visual way. Based on the song selections and the opinions of the listeners Spotify could also add songs they might like when additions to the playlist slows down.

This would be different from the apps used for updated jukebox products like TouchTunes and RockBot because it is geared towards friend groups and parties rather than for promotional purposes. It is also different from U-verse Jukebox and these products because you only need a smartphone or computer, Spotify and some speakers to play the music (over Bluetooth or through an auxiliary cord).

This app will also be different than 8tracks or other playlist creation apps because playlists will be created collaboratively in the moment

CasualSoul

I think there's a conspiracy by Apple and Spotify to repress this type of democratic app.  iTunes DJ did this really well and was discontinued with no explanation and no alternative offered.  PartiQ for Spotify also did this well and was coldly abandoned when Spotify changed their partnership policies and API.  

http://jukestar.mobi/ for Spotify looks like the latest iteration.  There are a couple other jukebox voting apps for Spotify (qCast, Jukebox, etc.), but they require guests to download apps, which is far from ideal.  With a responsive web interface for guests, Jukestar seem to be on the right path; I hope it survives as it's the only way I even want to use Spotify for my parties. 

Primal-id
Casual Listener

They use to have a couple of add in apps that had this ability. It was a lot of fun. Hope it gets brought back

davidrueter
See "Jukebox for Spotify" app in Google Play and iTunes. Seems to do what you ask... except location is used to secure the jukebox instead of a PIN.
liquidice13
Gig Goer

I also requested an idea like this a while back which got rejected, but it seems like Jukestar offers basically everything, so I'm gonna check that out. @jimmyl1 any way you could integrate Jukestar to work in conjunction with Pacemaker? That could be a really cool and powerful partnership.

blizzrdof77
Casual Listener

I can think of a few ways that this could be implemented using existing features and functionality with slight enhancements. This is my initial thought:

Allow any user to make his or her play queue collaborative. This would essentially create a temporary collaborative playlist owned by that user with a shareable link or scannable image code to share. After the user disables the shared queue, the playlist is removed and the queue returns to its normal behavior.

I'd be happy to help / contribute to this and other useful features if @spotify could open the door to allow for community-built tweaks & features. Maybe I'll start a new topic thread for this though, because that's a whole nother feature request in and of itself. .

JesseFreeburg

The concept is to develop an add-on which would essentially serve the purpose of a web based music Jukebox. The playlists will be comprised of the music selections from connected guest devices (i.e Mobile phones, tablets, computers connected to the “Jukeboxes” network). The app would have dual functionality to serve as either the host "Jukebox" or the "Guest." I describe each of these two functions as modes.

Jukebox mode

The host device would accept music selections from guest devices through a temporary playlist created on the server (access password and song selection parameters will be dictated by the “Jukebox”). Additional data could be chosen to be sent to the Jukebox as well, like potentially displaying source information from contributing devices such as a username, picture, short message, etc. Along with this information; credits can be applied with the selection moving up its priority (See Credits).

Guest mode

The device would seek local Jukebox playlist to pair with. The guest can connect to the temporary playlist by unique name or search by location. The app would have a queue onto which users can upload their playlists or single songs which are available on the Spotify music database (playlist and song selection parameters will be dictated by the “Jukebox”). In this mode the user would also choose what source data they would like to display on the Jukebox. This information will come from either a user built profile or their personal information via a connection to a social networking site (later detail effects on SNS. i.e. said profile is playing what, from where, with who). 

Credits

The application can be used free of cost for both the "Jukebox" and the "Guests." The music played will be selected at random from the top of the queue of all the guest devices connected to the given Jukebox. The guest also has the option to apply credits to their choice making their song prioritized based on the credits applied. The song with the most credits applied will be played next. Credits can be purchased, gifted by other users, or gifted by “Juker” for regular use through an incentive plans.

Idea's for different types of play:

Regular- Free for guests and Jukebox. Sourced music from guest devices will be randomly selected from the top of the guests' playlist queue. Guests can move up their song priority by applying credits purchased. For example, if the next song on the jukebox has 1 credit applied and a guest was to apply 2 credits to their song, it would play next. Just like regular Spotify, music copyrights will be paid primarily with ad revenue. Guest devices will be played an ad after each music selection along with banner ads. The “Jukebox” will display banner ads.

Battle- (free for guests to join the network like regular but, a premium subscription would be required for the device in “Jukebox” mode) the option for the guests to apply credits to move up in priority is gone. This would use popular vote to determine the next song played. Guests would have the option to choose what songs on the jukebox’s queue they like or dislike. The popular votes determine playlist order. i.e the song with the most "likes" would play next; likes get +1, dislikes -1. Credits would be purchased by the Jukebox and number of credits needed would be determined by the number of guests contributing. More guests require more credits.

Notes:

• The music pool can be limited by the Jukebox using existing Spotify filers i.e only genre: country and blues
  • The song being played can be skipped by the Jukebox i.e. Person in control of the jukebox dislikes the profanity in the song or displayed source info. Also guests can be blocked
  • Songs can be skipped by guests if popular vote dislikes (the percentage of votes required to skip can be adjusted by the host Jukebox).
  • Song can be skipped if the song length exceeds tolerances set by the Jukebox.
  • Guests and Jukebox can connect with existing social networking websites (i.e. Facebook, twitter) and display activity if approved by the user.
  • The device in Jukebox mode may also have its own playlist to add to the composite list.
JesseFreeburg

This started as a business idea unrelated to Spotify platform so some of the described features and functions would not apply. If the idea generates enough interest I have additional material/technical on the idea.