Spotify Jukebox: Queue & Upvote

I have an idea where the Spotify app for phones can have a "Jukebox" mode where you type in a 4-6 digit pin number to connect to someone who has Spotify running on a computer, so when you're throwing a party or a dance you can add songs to the queue. I suppose something similar can be done with a collaborative playlist, but with a separate mode you can choose to only give your pin to people at the party so people not there can't edit your que, add some sort of democracy system where people can upvote the songs they want to hear most, or have something where the person running the Spotify service can create a playlist that people can vote on which songs they'd like to hear but only out of that playlist (this way you don't have someone playing Rage Against the Machine at a kid's birthday party). It's just an idea that I've had. I've seen one other person post something similar but his suggestion was buried and didn't get enough Kudos.

Have a nice day,

gdogpwns123

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
nziner

Hi, everyone! Sorry if the title seems confusing but this is my idea:

When you go to a party and someone has built a playlist for the event and it is not well received the Host/DJ of the playlist may be offended when you try and play different music but everyone will have their own ideas of what music could make the playlist better.

So my idea is this: In Spotify, there would be a tab called Party. People hosting events would go to this tab and start a "Party Playlist", this would be named specifically for the event. Everyone who attends the event can go to their Party tab on their app and join the party playlist. Within the Party tab, all members can add songs to the playlist up to a certain number of recommendations or unlimited.

This is where the fun comes in: The list is ordered by when the recommendations were received and the name/cover art/artist's information all show up on the app for all people at the event, before the first song plays everyone gets the option to vote: Play or Pass, the host can set a benchmark for either depending on number of votes (ie 20 to pass or play) or can let the majority decide once a majority has voted. This begins the playlist and the next song shows up on the app to be voted on. This process continues or can be done all in the beginning thus giving the party event the most favorable playlist decided by its party goers. Everyone can add what they like but if people don't think it should be played they get to vote Pass and the same is true for Play.

Additionally, the party host should have more admin privileges such as the ability to monitor how many recommendations one person is adding and setting limits and the ability to make final decisions on close Pass or Plays along with the initial set up parameters.

I hope that makes sense, in my mind, it allows for the masses to add what they here at parties to democratize the playlist, vote against songs that don't belong, and create playlists as they go that have the highest positive feedback.

Thanks!

jperry5529
Casual Listener

I had a similar idea and was referred here. Please do this!

Paulg
Music Fan

I think this is a great idea - I'd want it to be native to Spotify and not yet another app. Where "Devices Available" comes up, you could list anyone who's ticked the "Jukebox" mode on their spotify on the local network or on your friends list.. Mty 2 pence worth based on my own thoughts and building on some of the ideas above:

From the "Master" end - the phone or PC running the jukebox app:

• Simple to switch on, and give a meaningful name to - allowing more than 1 to be on the same network
  • The option to have it open to anyone on the network, or protected by pin/pw
  • A prominent easy to hit "Reject" button
  • Ability to add any tracks, or limit to preselected genres.
  • An ability to restrict explicit content (We've all got that one friend who'd think Steel Panther at a kid's party is a great idea
  • Ability to choose how songs are selected - Queued Order, Balanced by user (everyone gets equal chance)
  • Ability to queue jump a track
  • Control from any device the user is logged in to, and the ability to add the usernames of a couple of other moderators
  • Select a playlist for "infill" - i.e. when there's nothing queued, jump back to a playlist.

From the slave end (on the user's app that's adding a track to the playlist):

• Ability to add a track simply by holding it and saying "Queue to Jukebox" - if you've already connected to a jukebox, then it queues, if not, it carries out a search for any jukeboxes broadcasting on the current network
  • Ability to see what's now playing on the jukebox and what's up next
  • Ability to choose whether to scrobble jukebox plays to Last.FM or not
  • Ability to thumb up or down music in the same way as you can with Spotify radio

This idea has so many applications. Small coffee shops could create a more personal experience, pubs (that don't profit from their jukey) could do the same. For house parties, I'd love to use Spotify (we currently use Youtube, where everyone can connect to a device on the network and add to a queue).

martinstockwell
Casual Listener

Hi All, There is actually a solution that does just this already.

simply go to jukestar.mobi

Install the jukestar app on your andriod or ios device setup your party as the Host and anyone using any internet bowser can find your party, and start adding songs to the playlist. They can even up or down vote tunes on the list.

jackopearce

Its happens to us all: we settle in for a road trip or car ride, don't feel inclined to listen to podcasts, and want some good music. What should we do? We love our playlists, but sometimes just want something different, something unexpected. Well, what if you could recruit some help? We generally follow friends on Spotify because we like their taste in music - so what if there was a social element with your friends on Spotify?

Here is what I am suggesting: a check-in feature on Spotify that lets your friends build your Queue. There is no quota - a friend can add 1 or 100 songs. Boom. You have a perfect list of new music, familiar music, and intertwined taste. It can end there - with a great unique, list of music, or things can be more interactive.  The listener can "rate", give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down", or even just skip the various songs, and at the end of the trip, you can see who suggested the best music.

It would be incredibly easy, just pop into "Road Trip" mode, and Spotify sends a notification to your friends. I do believe this could be a fun addition to Spotify, and would help users build a better, stronger community. Let's make this happen!

jackopearce

Its happens to us all: we settle in for a road trip or car ride, don't feel inclined to listen to podcasts, and want some good music. What should we do? We love our playlists, but sometimes just want something different, something unexpected. Well, what if you could recruit some help? We generally follow friends on Spotify because we like their taste in music - so what if there was a social element with your friends on Spotify?

Here is what I am suggesting: a check-in feature on Spotify that lets your friends build your Queue. There is no quota - a friend can add 1 or 100 songs. Boom. You have a perfect list of new music, familiar music, and intertwined taste. It can end there - with a great unique, list of music, or things can be more interactive.  The listener can "rate", give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down", or even just skip the various songs, and at the end of the trip, you can see who suggested the best music.

It would be incredibly easy, just pop into "Road Trip" mode, and Spotify sends a notification to your friends. I do believe this could be a fun addition to Spotify, and would help users build a better, stronger community. Let's make this happen!

California_dani

I love this idea and have been hoping for something similar.

Simply, you have the power to suggest songs to a playlist you're following - and the owner of the playlist has the option to accept your suggestions, or deny them.(: 

A perfect way to make Spotify more fun and engaging- while finding awesome new music by giving friends the option to build onto your library.

i feel like Spotify's algarythms are a bit too predicatable when suggesting new music or song radio, and sometimes steer you back toward mainstream or poppy beats. Miss the good days of limewire or napster when the songs suggested were based on other songs the seeder listened to. Calloboration makes for much more compelling and interesting song lists.

blizzrdof77
Casual Listener

I can think of a few ways that this could be implemented using existing features and functionality with slight enhancements. This is my initial thought:

Allow any user to make his or her play queue collaborative. This would essentially create a temporary collaborative playlist owned by that user with a shareable link or scannable image code to share. After the user disables the shared queue, the playlist is removed and the queue returns to its normal behavior.

I'd be happy to help / contribute to this and other useful features if @spotify could open the door to allow for community-built tweaks & features. Maybe I'll start a new topic thread for this though, because that's a whole nother feature request in and of itself. .

JesseFreeburg

The concept is to develop an add-on which would essentially serve the purpose of a web based music Jukebox. The playlists will be comprised of the music selections from connected guest devices (i.e Mobile phones, tablets, computers connected to the “Jukeboxes” network). The app would have dual functionality to serve as either the host "Jukebox" or the "Guest." I describe each of these two functions as modes.

Jukebox mode

The host device would accept music selections from guest devices through a temporary playlist created on the server (access password and song selection parameters will be dictated by the “Jukebox”). Additional data could be chosen to be sent to the Jukebox as well, like potentially displaying source information from contributing devices such as a username, picture, short message, etc. Along with this information; credits can be applied with the selection moving up its priority (See Credits).

Guest mode

The device would seek local Jukebox playlist to pair with. The guest can connect to the temporary playlist by unique name or search by location. The app would have a queue onto which users can upload their playlists or single songs which are available on the Spotify music database (playlist and song selection parameters will be dictated by the “Jukebox”). In this mode the user would also choose what source data they would like to display on the Jukebox. This information will come from either a user built profile or their personal information via a connection to a social networking site (later detail effects on SNS. i.e. said profile is playing what, from where, with who). 

Credits

The application can be used free of cost for both the "Jukebox" and the "Guests." The music played will be selected at random from the top of the queue of all the guest devices connected to the given Jukebox. The guest also has the option to apply credits to their choice making their song prioritized based on the credits applied. The song with the most credits applied will be played next. Credits can be purchased, gifted by other users, or gifted by “Juker” for regular use through an incentive plans.

Idea's for different types of play:

Regular- Free for guests and Jukebox. Sourced music from guest devices will be randomly selected from the top of the guests' playlist queue. Guests can move up their song priority by applying credits purchased. For example, if the next song on the jukebox has 1 credit applied and a guest was to apply 2 credits to their song, it would play next. Just like regular Spotify, music copyrights will be paid primarily with ad revenue. Guest devices will be played an ad after each music selection along with banner ads. The “Jukebox” will display banner ads.

Battle- (free for guests to join the network like regular but, a premium subscription would be required for the device in “Jukebox” mode) the option for the guests to apply credits to move up in priority is gone. This would use popular vote to determine the next song played. Guests would have the option to choose what songs on the jukebox’s queue they like or dislike. The popular votes determine playlist order. i.e the song with the most "likes" would play next; likes get +1, dislikes -1. Credits would be purchased by the Jukebox and number of credits needed would be determined by the number of guests contributing. More guests require more credits.

Notes:

• The music pool can be limited by the Jukebox using existing Spotify filers i.e only genre: country and blues
  • The song being played can be skipped by the Jukebox i.e. Person in control of the jukebox dislikes the profanity in the song or displayed source info. Also guests can be blocked
  • Songs can be skipped by guests if popular vote dislikes (the percentage of votes required to skip can be adjusted by the host Jukebox).
  • Song can be skipped if the song length exceeds tolerances set by the Jukebox.
  • Guests and Jukebox can connect with existing social networking websites (i.e. Facebook, twitter) and display activity if approved by the user.
  • The device in Jukebox mode may also have its own playlist to add to the composite list.
JesseFreeburg

This started as a business idea unrelated to Spotify platform so some of the described features and functions would not apply. If the idea generates enough interest I have additional material/technical on the idea.