Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

Spotify as musical anthropology: Open up all audiofiles on peoples hard drives to the network!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason Spotify is able to connect to a song almost instantaneously, is because it's gathering the song data based on a P2P configuration, loading parts of the song from people's computers (who have the song) based on proximity to the streamer. 

Why not just open up this potential network to all audiofiles - music, samples, etc -  and let music forgotten in history,  music made by unknown/amatuers, and let the people/business entities take it down, like they already do to blogs. I'm imaging that this giant network of content, will replace the the need to pirate anything, since it will all exist in the cloud of Spotify (an easier platform to police content). Imagine people curating playlists of music/sounds they've uploaded (based on quality control guidlines) that end up making forgotten artists money, or atleast give them exposure they never had. Let's face it, the RIAA is here to protect the labels, which are a dying or evolving mediary, and not the artists. The community protects the artists.

Or if this is too scary,  why not just connect Spotify to Soundcloud and drop the fee's to upload music? 

That sounds simple but is in fact not possible. Spotify needs the right to play every song that is on Spotify. While a lot bands might appreciate it, there can't be a general rule about it and new licencing would need to be worked out first.

Comments
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 40+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter
Community Legend
Status changed to: Case Closed

That sounds simple but is in fact not possible. Spotify needs the right to play every song that is on Spotify. While a lot bands might appreciate it, there can't be a general rule about it and new licencing would need to be worked out first.