Spotify connect. Share a device with other users.

Right now, the user can connect its device to any other devices that he/she has logged into and is currently running spotify and take control over the music.

I thought it would be useful if there was a feature that a user might request a connection to another users device. Let's say you are at a party, and your friends want to play a song on your spotify connect device, he/she discovers nearby devices (for example via wi-fi) and if that device is logged into another user, he/she must request a connection to that device. The owner could get a notification that another user wants to connect. Once the owner accepts, the other user now controls the music.

I don't know how the authentitication looks on spotify connect speakers, but with andriod devices (which i'm using), there is no solution to this problem. This is only an example on how the protocol could work, but it would be nice if you could share a device with others. Another solution could be a share button which shares a device to a specified amount of users.

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-01-12

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Spaceboy88
Roadie

I like this idea. It reminds me of the iTunes DJ feature. It would allow for great on-the-fly song requests.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea.

You might also want to add your kudos to a similar idea without authorization process though.

w0wbagger

We run Spotify on our HTPC server that ties into our whole house audio system.

At the moment, I'm logged in on that server, so I can use Device Connect to control it from my computer or my mobile. Works a treat.

I'd love it if when I'm not home, my wife could use her mobile phone or computer to control our whole house music without having to remote into the (headless) HTPC, log me out of Spotify on the server, then re-login as herself.

Making the device *only* accessible/visible to people in the Spotify Family of the person logged in would solve the issue of worrying about people hijacking, especially if you made opening up the device to the rest of the family accounts an option (to prevent terrible siblings from hijacking each others' devices). 

Please implement this - it would be a very welcome addition.

user-removed
Not applicable

That would be a game changer for me. Same situation as above. My wife has to ask me to change track every time

puregreen
I would also live this feature and would use this a lot considering I use spotify family.....
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-01-12

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!