Stop paying German telecom Drosselkom to violate net neutrality

In Germany, Spotify is paying Drosselkom to have their traffic excluded from throttling that is applied to their competitors:

Drosselkom: Offline and Online-Protests against ISP Plans to slow down Internet Connections – and fo...

"Making matters even worse, Telekom also openly announced, that internet companies can pay them to be excluded from those customer limits. This is already being done with the music streaming service Spotify: their traffic will not be counted for the customer limit – and Spotify will remain available at full speed even when its competitors are slowed down. The market leader is trying to kill the principle of net neutrality – that all bits are created equal."

Here's an idea: instead of paying out Drosselkom, Spotify should use the money to campaign for net neutrality in Germany.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

0 Likes
Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28

The idea exchange is here for suggesting new features, rather than telling Spotify with who to make deals with or not. However, I will mark this as "Unspecified" and leave it open for discussion, since I know it's a huge issue in Germany at the moment. Also think about all the Spotify-Telekom users that enjoy their streaming at the moment - they wouldn't be too happy.

The main problem is not, that there is a spotify managed-service already on the mobile market, but that the Telekom wants to add a traffic limit on the non mobile market. They already said officially, that services could buy a status as a "managed service" to not get counted within this limit.

So first the Telekom took away the unlimited traffic from the customer and wants now, that services are paying for their traffic, so that the Telekom is able to get a piece of money, which companies like Google, Facebook and Spotify are earning. Further there is no technical reason to justify this step.

I don't care about the fact, that Telekom wants money from then, I care more about the fact, that uncomercial or little services don't have the ability to "buy" such a status, especially as long as you doing backups over the internet you will hit this "traffic limit" very fast. This will implement a two class net easily, which should never happen in the internet.

This step from the telekom could be a chance to avoid companies like them and say a yes to net neutrality.

I know, that this is a very dirty game of the Telekom and stopping all cooperation with them would mean, that companies, which simply don't care about net neutrality, would have a big advantage.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!