[Subscription] Discount for High School Students

I think it's really cool that college students get discount for spotify but it would be great if high school students could get the same thing , it would be amazing to being playing music wherever we want for a low price and since I find spotify better than pandora. $5 is extremely affordable for high school students and a lot would sign up for that price if that was an option

Updated on 2018-02-07

Hey folks! We appreciate all the feedback you've given us around giving High School students a Spotify discount. We absolutely want High School students to be able to enjoy a discounted Premium. That's why we've launched the discounted Family Plan--6 accounts for 14.99. We don't have plans for a standalone high school discount now that we have this great offer for families.

There also isn't a current way to verify attendance at a high school the way we can for college/ university students. It's for those reasons that we're marking this as 'Case Closed'. Of course should this change in the future we will let you all know via the News section of our website: https://news.spotify.com/

Related Ideas

Comments
REDhead

This is a great idea.   I signed on with Premium when they had the holiday deal, 3 months for $1.  Now I'm having to pay the full amount, and $10 is a lot.  I'd have to pay for March, April, and May, and then I'll be enrolled in a college.  If they had a HS discount, that would be awesome.

rfrances98

I'm in high school and work and use that money to pay for a lot and also put a lot away for college and other expenses. I love Premium but I honestly can't afford to pay $10 a month for it. $5 is a lot more reasonable. 

srjohnson1986
Casual Listener

copy pasted from my response in a similar thread-

The usual validation for an education discount is a .edu email address.

Things may have changed in the 10 years since I've been in high school, but I don't think most high schools give students email addresses. It'd be way too expensive to validate an identity pretty much any other way.

Worst case you could buy a family subscription with your friends and split the cost evenly. If you have 6 people that want to pay $5 each month for spotify (or 2 for $7.50, 3 for $6.66, 4 for $6.25), you can sign up that way. The downside is that there's probably no easy way to transfer settings/playlists/followed arts/saved albums over to another account if/when that becomes an issue.

for more info/pricing- https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

Brian16
Casual Listener

UPDATE!: The fact that my post from over a year ago is still being liked by many spotify users, well something should really be done. Listen to your customers and try it out. Make this discount happen. This is my last year in high school and I want this spotify membership for highschoolers to happen! Your sales will sky rocket from many teens. Do this before another music competitor does it and forces me to switch because I will simply have a better deal.

TWR

This is a no brainer. You can require that the student supply ID from their school. AND this should be for middle school kids (or at least 13+ and over - grades are arbitrary).  Also, why just college? This is odd. Most places offer a "student discount" not a "you're wealthy enough for college so pay less discount". You could protect from abuse by still charging more for family accounts. 

Lastly why not offer a reduced full year membership to all:  $10+/month or an annual fee of $90+.  Other services do this and people would pay that.  And, Spotify would have that money in the bank.  I confess everytime I see this on my bill I think, "do I really use this enough for $120+/year".  At $5/CD (average) and $99/song, that's a lot of music..

TofuTaco

I would really love to see this happen. I'm running the sound system as a part of the student body and I've been using the trial which expires tomorrow. It's been definitely reliable to have everything offline so I can still play music in the quad as well as playing the music in a very high quality. I am spending my money from my pocket to provide this music for the school. It's definitely going to benefit me if I don't have to spend $10 each month. :)

snowing6

My job pays at minimum wage which is only $8 per hour. If you add gas, saving up for college, and buying my own clothes? That adds up. If they would have a thing for highschool students, then I wouldn't mind paying for it. 

Koltonwild18lp
I think that we should also be able to get the 5$ discount as high school student. I can't afford the 10$ a month rate. I can however do the t$ discount. Please consider high school students for this discount.
baylorboring

this is so true im about to end my premium trial and i cant get 10 dollar premium its too much but i can afford 5 bucks why isnt thi a thing

vicki3

Unlike other people, my parents don't pay for my spotify. I'm in high school so I really hope this happens, or else I will soon no longer be able to afford it