[Subscription] Kids Mode: Child Friendly option

• Spotify is great, I use it every day and night. And so do my family members some through their own invitation to my family account, and my daughter uses it through my login because she is underage and is not allowed to have her own account on Spotify technically. Which is quite annoying because music is for everyone to love and enjoy really and my daughter loves music and Spotify particularly so I let her use my devices to listen to music through the app. The problem is when I do this my daughter's taste in music and selections including likes and playlist adds are all added to my account, influencing my daily mixes, algorithms, release radar, playlists etc. Wouldnt it be great to have the option to select another user under your account, or have kids mode, whereby they could have their own sub-profile with their own library and playlists/likes stored and managed by a parent or guardian and content including all access and permissions controlled by the parent or guardian and main account holder. This would then allow the KIDS MODE and childs activity to not only be monitored and made safe as desired by each parent and filtered by words, artists, songs etc but it would allow the child's listening activity on Spotify to not affect the main account holders algorithms and daily mixes etc. It would also give the children a sense of responsibility and maturity having control of their own music hub and control centre and teach them from a young age the skills of organisation, spelling, music, priority, neatness, memory, timing, management and just a general sense of self care and management of something of their own. I have a daughter who craves music each day, nieces and nephews that beg me to set up Spotify for them, but I refuse to do it illegally because that's not how it deserves to be done for both the kids and for Spotify. They both deserve to join forces and unite for once and for all. Whether they are accepted on family plans, or selected as a kids mode user under main login user it would be great to see. @DJ-MastaJ 

Updated on 2021-05-20

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 500 votes in 18 months. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
jb24

This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. Spotify needs a solution like Netflix with multiple accounts on the same device, including a kids option. 

Joeyman101
Regular

This is what a kids app should be not someone at spotify determining what my kids should listen to.  I think this is a great idea and should have been what the kids spotify app is. I installed the app on my 10 year olds device and he saw the music selection on the app and said he didn't like it and to take it off his tablet because he doesn't care for the music selection.

smirnoffs

I second that. Family subscription in my understanding would allow my children to have an access without my account and it reality I couldn't use it, my children are not old enough. I know nothing about Spotify Kids, it's not available in Germany where I live. And this is also sad, I saw the advertisement of the application when I considered Family Premium subscription. I'm quite disappointed by what I got at the end.

I'd like to have separate kids accounts and I wouldn't mind to have an app for children. 

pop6wkjs-u_0j
Casual Listener

The addition of Spotify Kids makes it even more frustrating that I can't create an accurate account for my kids.

camerongo
Casual Listener

+ Whatever solution Spotify adds for kids should support home speaker devices such as Google Home and Alexa, which Spotify Kids does not today.

Take a long hard look in the mirror Spotify please. I have a family account and two kids of 10 and 8. They need a playlist that I (or they) can add songs to (they can use a tablet if necessary), and they need it to play through the Sonos that each of them have in their bedroom. That's it. Nothing more! Currently, I have to put my adult account through one of their Sonos' at a time, which means that I can't listen to my own music elsewhere. They have to pester me to play their playlist (I can't use the Spotify kids as it won't go through Sonos seemingly, so I have to manage their playlists attached to mine and my wife's adult account and use our accounts!). It should be as simple as them walking in to their room and pressing the Sonos play button (which plays the last playlist, i.e. theirs), then pressing it again when they leave. Their playlist would be permanently tethered to their Sonos with no overhead for anyone.

I'm staggered that this is even a post that needs kudos gathered before you consider implementing this most basic of functionality. My alternative, as has already been done by others, is to simply lie about their age and give them an adult account each! Stop waiting for Kudos and make the right decision please. I guarantee that there are more than 175 people (at time of posting) who want this functionality. Most aren't bothering with the "like" button on here because they're too busy inflating their children's ages and relaxing as they let their kids listen to their own music...

from125out

I was very excited to have the option to install a kid friendly app for my youngsters.  On top of the WIFI speaker issue though is the selection of artists is severely lacking.  Who decides what goes in the kids app? I realise there are hundreds of thousands of artists and many more songs. 

On the surface, filtering out songs with explicit lyrics seems like an easy solution.  I suppose album artwork can be an issue.  I mean, I don't listen to G&R anymore but 'use your illusion I' is in there but the only song is 'November Rain?' My kid loves 'Into the Spider-Verse' soundtrack but all the instrumentals are left out of the album.  "The Guess Who" has two songs.  Why not their entire collection?  I mean c'mon where's 'you ain't seen nothing yet?'  Finally,  how is my kid going to enjoy his spotify kids without being able to listen to 'Bud the Spud?'

Open up the music man!  Let kids explore music

Rodrigo172

We need to have safe accounts for our children, but I can't open one because the age restriction.

Also Spotify Kids is not available in my country yet (Chile)

Jacob
Community Legend
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-05-20

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 500 votes in 18 months. You can read more about the idea process here.