[Subscription] Tiered membership

Hello from 'down under' [Australia]

First and foremost, I would like to say thank you for such a wonderful application. Absolutely love Spotify, it’s functionality and usability.

I like so many others here, were forced to find another application that provided music when Pandora decided to leave us high and dry. Whilst initially peeved at having to rebuild my collection of much listened to music, I have come to appreciate and yes, am very very pleased I was forced to switch to Spotify! Awesome application!

Now to get to the meaty end of why I write and I apologise, but I will be frank and open with what I say, so please do not take offense as none is intended – simply highlighting what I believe is real.

I know and understand that in order for such a great application to survive, money is needed; hence your premium membership that is offered. However, like a lot of people I know that use Spotify, I have trialled the premium package. Other than annoying ads, I didn’t see the value of upgrading for 12 odd AU dollars per month.

Things like better audio quality or downloads are of little or no benefit to me and a lot of people like me. I list the features offered with premium to explain why: -

1. Skip songs – 9 times out of 10 I am not sitting with my device to skip a song, and to be perfectly honest I have built my own playlists and I wouldn’t have put the song there if I didn’t want to listen to it
2. High quality audio streaming – I have listened with and without this on and to be blunt, have not noticed even a little difference in sound quality. I listen to most of my music through a high end stereo system so it provides me the quality needed that is to my satisfaction. It would take quite a discerning ear I think to hear anything different.
3. No ads – yep this is a definite advantage, but I wouldn’t pay $12 odd for the privilege. Most things come with ads these days and whilst annoying one learns to tune out.
4. Downloads – Coverage on mobile devices is pretty good in Australia and there is no situation I have been placed under that warrants my having downloaded music on my phone. Mobile plans are also very good value, with large data packages attached which more than cover my usage and then some. i.e. I have a $49 plan with unlimited calls and text and with it a 30 gig data plan. Haven’t gone anywhere near ¼ usage when away from home and I listened to it all day!

Why do I point this all out, you might ask? Well, as I said before, I would hate to lose this service and understand that in order for it to continue that money is needed to support such an application. I’m sure that extra revenue raised could be used for good purpose?

Now for the crux – why not offer two different levels to your membership – some money is better than no money am I right? :) 

I suggest breaking it down to two levels, one that just offers no ads for those that are wanting just to listen and not too fussed about the ‘frilly stuff’ and the other that offers additional ability to download music and high quality audio streaming.

This way, rather than placing people like myself in the position of opting out all together, we still have an option to go part of the way at a lower cost. Who wins? We all do and more importantly rather than having a large client base who pay nothing, you may see a growth to revenue that allows us all to benefit in the future with more functionality :)

Just my ‘two bobs worth’, for consideration :) 

Keep on being great at what you do!

Updated on 2018-12-25

Hey @RedYasha, thanks for coming to the Spotify Community!

I think this is a great idea! A similar idea has also been posted here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Subscription-Support-option-and-or-half-membership/idi-p...

Please add your comments/votes there and reach out here if you need any other help :)

0 Likes

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2018-12-25

Hey @RedYasha, thanks for coming to the Spotify Community!

I think this is a great idea! A similar idea has also been posted here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Subscription-Support-option-and-or-half-membership/idi-p...

Please add your comments/votes there and reach out here if you need any other help :)