[Subscription] Voluntarily pay more to support Artists

I'm aware that this suggestion has been voiced multiple times in the past but has failed to gather sufficient kudos. So I thought I'd try again.

I would love to see the ability to pay an optional bonus on top of the regular subscription fee. With all expenses being covered by the regular fee, that bonus would be entirely transferred to artists / rights owners.

The advantage of that scheme over a tip jar-based system (which would be incompatible with Spotify's business model) is that you don't have to worry about donating to individual artists. The money is distributed according to your stream count. The artists you listen to most will get most of your bonus.

Please give the idea some kudos if you like it.

Update 2019-12-19: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-12-07

Marked as new idea.
This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

djrose97
Regular

This is more relevant than one would think.

Aspiring artists put their songs on here to gain popularity and to make money, right? however, If one were to look up the amount of money that a play on Spotify actually pays the artist in royalties, its less than 1 cent. I'm almost positive that's even sugar coating it, from what I remember from last time I checked.

A useful alternative to this for artists would be to allow artists to link KickStarter Campaigns and other links to their artist page where their Buy on iTunes and related links are. This would help tremendously for younger artists to get off the ground.

Look forward to hearing more from this topic!

floffimedia
Casual Listener

@djrose97 wrote:

A useful alternative to this for artists would be to allow artists to link KickStarter Campaigns and other links to their artist page where their Buy on iTunes and related links are. This would help tremendously for younger artists to get off the ground.

I like your idea. I'm not so sure about going back to buying individual songs and albums, though. After all, the great thing about streaming services is that you don't have to deal with mp3 files and such.

Thanks for your support!

Vedat
Müzik indirmek istiyorum ama indiremiyorum
dominichosler

I like this idea, so that if you can afford it, you can donate extra (according to what you actually listen to).

This is similar to the Patreon idea, but for streaming music.

I personally support a few artists on Patreon, but I think I'd like to support them more by increasing the benefit from my listens.

floffimedia
Casual Listener

I forgot to mention it, but part of my idea is that each person can adjust the bonus size individually. Do you agree with that, or would you rather like to see a fixed bonus rate?

Yrzmyrz
Music Fan

Definitely a great idea to give voluntary additional support to artists! What I am thinking about is the way how to do it. Actually, I would prefer a "donate" button equivalent to the like button. Donations just based on the stream can have effects that would keep me away from participating. I use very much the radio function which means that I do not select the artist by myself for the stream, or I don't like some of the songs. This way, someone became my most played artist of 2015 I didn't select intentionally even once. Or I curiously listen into something unknown and that is immediately rewarded even when I don't like it.

If not an individual solution, maybe a "donation mode on/off" could do it. Then it is my own fault to listen to radios when in that mode.....

floffimedia
Casual Listener

@Yrzmyrz wrote:

I use very much the radio function which means that I do not select the artist by myself for the stream, or I don't like some of the songs.

Thanks for sharing your perspective! This is very much opposed to my listening habits, which means I would never have thought of your problem if it weren't for your comment. As I wrote in the original entry, I assume that a donation based system would be incompatible with Spotify's business model. This is due to the fact that Spotify doesn't pay fixed, per-stream royalties but rather distributes its total revenue according to an artist's share of total streams.

That being said, I think you've already provided an excellent solution. The "donation mode on/off" switch could be turned on by default for those paying a higher fee, but I think some sort of notification should be displayed just to be sure. Users like you could then turn it off and on as they like. For those who forgot to turn on the switch for a whole month, it could retroactively be applied to all of their streams (or maybe a selection of their own, if that's not too complicated).

ronoffringa

I'd love the option to tip artists like this. Super easy way to support those artists. It would also be cool to have a record of artists we've tipped or maybe the option to see who we've listened to most but not tipped. 

floffimedia
Casual Listener

@ronoffringa wrote:

It would also be cool to have a record of artists we've tipped or maybe the option to see who we've listened to most but not tipped.

Great idea!