Announcements

Sync Lock - Prevent An Offline Device From Unsyncing

Greetings!

After encountering a string of repeated off-line content loss on various devices, due to the 3 device limit, I would very much like to propose the idea of adding a "LOCK DEVICE" function. 

Essentially, I would like to be able to go to the "Offline Devices" section of my account settings and click a "lock" icon that would simply prevent a given device from being unsynced. 

From my recent experience, I had my Linux PC, MacBook Pro and Galaxy S4 all marked as offline devices. The smartphone had an extensive amount of offline playlists. Then I get a tablet device and install the Spotify app.. Suddenly POOF! I get a sync error on my phone - all offline content is gone. Currently manually re-downloading playlists on S4. 

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I would GREATLY prefer if my mobile device was prioritized to never lose sync or offline content. If not possible, then I would simply like the option to lock my Offline Devices or the entire list. 

There just seemed to be little warning, aside from the sync error, which defined the extent of the monotony I was about to unleash on myself.

Thank you for any consideration this receives - I sincerely hope the impact v. effort is weighed favorably on this!

Updated: 2016-01-14

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Devices-Page-Sync-Lock-an-offline-Device/idi-p/1386562

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search.

This idea requests to prevent a certain offline device from unsyncing when the 3 offline device limit is exceeded.

LordMoonlight

Great Idea, cause this is driving me crazy!

Tresnan

The 3 offline device limit is implemented chaotically and has caused grief for many. While I support this idea I am not hopeful. I am fairly new to Spotify community and after spending a few hours browsing the Ideas pages it seems that the Kudos system results in many good ideas being canned due to insufficient Kudos. Over the last few years there have been a steady stream of suggestions from unhappy customers who have had to resync GBs of music on primary devices because a fourth and newer device was added. Many suggestions revolve around simply automatically rejecting offline sync for the 4th device until the user removes one of the existing 3 via the self help Offline Devices page. Commonsense really. The issue is the same idea keeps coming up and gets less than the required Kudos and closed. Spotify need to step back and take a look at how many times this has been suggested, add up all the Kudos across the multiple ideas and you will then appreciate there is a real need to enhance the way 3 device limit works. The bottom line is its about time Spotify stopped errant / rogue / accidental 4th devices from overriding primary devices and causing them to lose all their offline content. As others have said, if Netflix, iTunes, etc can do it why can't Spotify ?

Marco
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2016-01-14

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Devices-Page-Sync-Lock-an-offline-Device/idi-p/1386562

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Env: prod