Sync Non-local Files to iPod Without Ruining Spotify

I'm not the only one that whishes to sync non-local files to my iPod. I understand that Spotify can't just release all of their streaming music to even premium subscribers without negative consequences. Allowing full iPod syncing freedom would allow users to pay for one month, take all the music they desire, and then cancel their subscription with no consequences. This is piracy, and would certainly ruin the integrity and probably lead to the collapse of Spotify.

If Spotify were to allow non-local syncing, here's how it should be done:

Any non-local file synced to an iPod should have an expiration date of, say, 30 days. This way users would be forced to continue their monthly subscription in order to re-sync their playlists and keep songs active. If a user syncs 10,000 songs in one day and doesn't renew their subscription, the songs will expire and never be playable again.

The idea is simple enough, but I'm sure integrating this into song files and not counting days from the date on the iPod would take some finesse. This is where Spotify can help!

I would love to see this happen, and I don't think it's unreasonable to pay a subscription to receive full usage of the songs I stream from Spotify. Maybe this in addition to the ability to purchase songs outright would cover all the bases for Spotify. Eventually the price of renewing songs every month would catch up to itself and validate full purchase. Full purchase would simply wipe the date-stamp from synced songs.

Any thoughts?

hammeh is right. This would require control of software on the iPod itself. It would also require an "open" encryption system, or at least that the encryption would be shared with the manufacturer of the iPod.

Related Ideas

Comments
Peter__
Community Legend

In my honest opinion, I don't think this is implmentable. 

Since iPods can't connect to the Internet, there is no way to verify that the time and date on the iPod are correct. If your system was implemented, you could still download all the music you like and then cancel your subscription, and then just continually put your iPod date/time back as that is the only way the tracks could calculate how long they have been stored for. 

Also, iPods won't have this timing facility built in and since they don't support apps there is no way to add it without Apple. 

Peter

m4st
Regular

Could you restrict the Play Count rather than the Date, or would this require collaboration with Apple as well?

Peter__
Community Legend

I would imagine that would require work with apple as well since the iPod is such a closed system.

Peter

Jude
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Not Implementable
hammeh is right. This would require control of software on the iPod itself. It would also require an "open" encryption system, or at least that the encryption would be shared with the manufacturer of the iPod.
caiusobtus

Hello everyone !

I'm looking on the community of Spotify about this "Available Offline" / "Sync non-local files" to Ipod issue.

I don't understand fully WHY  this idea is NOT implementable ? Apple managed to have an Nike+ App on the Ipod Nano.  Why not a Spotify app for Ipod ? Of course I understand that "sharing encryption" might be an issue....but really to the point of being not implementable ?!?