The solution to the "Your Music"-problem!

Many users, me included, are not satisfied with the new "Your Music" functionality. This is a complete description of how the benefits of "Your Music" could be combined with the benefits of "Starred" into a funcionality here called "Your Music 2.0"

To understand the idea I first need to pin-point some of the benefits/drawbacks of the new "Your Music"-way compared to the old "Starred"-way.

The benefits of using "Your Music":
A - You can easily save an album without having to create a playlist just for that album
B - For any song you save the artist is conveniently listed under "Artists"
C - For any album you save the artist is conveniently listed under "Artists"
D - For any song you save the album is conveniently listed under "Albums"

The drawbacks of using "Your Music":
F - If you save full albums the "Song" section soon becomes too large and you might not love all songs in an album but still wants the full album saved. So then you'd have to use the old method of creating an album-playlist which is counterproductive.
G - If you save multiple single tracks the "Album"-view will get totally messed up and you won't be able to easily distinguish your one-track-albums from you real-full-albums.

The benefits of using "Starred" and playlists:
H - You can easily mark the full collection for offline mode, and new songs added are automatically downloaded for offline
I - You can play Radio on your full "Starred"-collection
K - When browsing songs in albums, search results etc. you see which songs are already starred
L - You can filter the playlist to quickly find a song (or verify that a song is saved)

The drawbacks of using "Starred" and playlists:
M - It's bothersome to save a full album because you have to create a playlist for it. And a playlist is not really an album because you could add other artists' songs etc. which allows for too many degrees of freedom.

Your Music 2.0:
It works like this (and think of this being built on the basis of the current "Your Music"-functionality):

• You still add songs by one-click on plus-button. And then a song is added the artist is added under "Artists" as it is now. BUT the album is not added under "Albums" because "Albums" should only be used for full albums (Maybe "Albums" should be renamed to "Full albums" for this to be more clear). This fullfills B, G
  • You can still easily add a full album to "Albums". But only full albums can exist in "Albums". And when adding an album the artist(s) are automatically added to "Artists". BUT the songs in the album are not automatically added to "Songs". (Maybe "Songs" should be renamed to "Single tracks" for this to be more clear). This fullfills A, C, F, G, M
  • You can easily mark the full "Songs"-collection for offline mode, and new songs added are automatically downloaded for offline. This fullfills H
  • You can play Radio on your full "Songs"-collection. This fullfills I
  • When browsing songs in albums, search results etc. you see which songs are already in "Songs". This fullfills K
  • You can filter the playlist to quickly find a song (or verify that a song is saved). This fullfills L
  • (All songs previously in "Starred" could be moved to "Songs". and the "Starred"-playlist could be removed. Not sure if this might be too disruptive for the users though. But at least some means for not having the confusing redundancy of both "Starred" and "Songs" because "Starred" is quite meaningless after "Your Music 2.0" has been implemented)

D is not fulfilled at all, but since it's in conflict with G, that's good because the lack of D is not as bad as the mess with G.

So with "Your Music 2.0" all the benefits of "Starred" will remain within "Songs". AND you get a much better way of saving full albums than in the old days when you have to create "album-playlists". AND with "Artists" you get a nice library of all artists behind you "Songs" and "Albums", where you can click on an Artist and see all those songs and album (and perhaps having songs/albums here visually separated too!?).

That's it! It's not even a major UI-remake, so it could be achieved quite easily and frictionless. But these few small tricks would really make Spotify work again. At least the way I like it to work!

Hello!

First of all, thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately this idea here contains more than 1 request and/or general feedback which makes it impossible for the Spotify staff to manage the received kudos / give it a proper ideas status. The ideas exchange is here to request a single feature per topic that people can vote on via kudos. If you want to start a general discussion, that's cool! But then please create a topic in the respective help section for that. ;)

Also, please have a read at the ideas submission guidelines on what to consider when posting an idea. The most important things are to post only 1 idea per topic and to use the SEARCH function, since most ideas are already out there in the ideas forum.

You might want to check out some popular idea examples of the new "Your Music" feature and the new dark UI.

More information and a place for feedback about those 2 new aspects of Spotify can be found here. ;)

Your Music:

- Bringing Back Starred Playlist System

- Bring back the library

- Ability to make Your Music offline

- many more using the Search function

New Black UI:

- Add an option to switch to the old UI

- Less Space between Lines

- Zoom options to change the size of all elements

- again, more to find via search

Thanks again!

Related Ideas

Comments
AndresLP
Casual Listener

After a few years using it, I just cancelled my account (Premium). My starred playlist was available offline in the past (about 1000 songs), this way I could just star a song and it would immediately be available offline and synchronized in my iphone a my two computers.

This is specially important for me to be able to listen to my favourite songs with my iphone without an internet connection. It seems I can no longer do this.

Too bad Spotify doesn't seem to take into account their customers before doing such radical changes.

lordsmert

Lasselakan,

This is brilliant, all around.  This is, nearly word for word, my exact complaint about the new feature.  If you're going to go with a "Your Music" feature, then you must give the user control over how that works.  As it stands now, Spotify essentially dictates how you are to organize your music.  The new feature certainly gives me more "ownership" over the music, which in theory is wonderful because I can't count how many times I've sat with the app open trying to figure out what to play.  In the physical realm, I could simply browse my CD shelf and select an album I like.  

Spotify gets pretty close to recreating this, but because the new feature is so top-heavy (i.e. they automatically organize everything for you), it leaves you with the sense that you don't "own" the tracks in the way Spotify likely intended.  It just looks like a mess of tracks, albums, and bands now.  Without the clear star next to a track and/or without the long since removed "album art view" in playlists, there is no way to organize my music on my own terms.  

All in all, one step forward, two steps back.  Your recommendation on the other hand = $$$!  

-Lordsmert 

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Duplicate

Hello!

First of all, thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately this idea here contains more than 1 request and/or general feedback which makes it impossible for the Spotify staff to manage the received kudos / give it a proper ideas status. The ideas exchange is here to request a single feature per topic that people can vote on via kudos. If you want to start a general discussion, that's cool! But then please create a topic in the respective help section for that. ;)

Also, please have a read at the ideas submission guidelines on what to consider when posting an idea. The most important things are to post only 1 idea per topic and to use the SEARCH function, since most ideas are already out there in the ideas forum.

You might want to check out some popular idea examples of the new "Your Music" feature and the new dark UI.

More information and a place for feedback about those 2 new aspects of Spotify can be found here. ;)

Your Music:

- Bringing Back Starred Playlist System

- Bring back the library

- Ability to make Your Music offline

- many more using the Search function

New Black UI:

- Add an option to switch to the old UI

- Less Space between Lines

- Zoom options to change the size of all elements

- again, more to find via search

Thanks again!