Thumbs Up/Down Feature on Radio Actually Affecting What's Going to Play on My Radio Stations

Let me start with, I freaking LOVE spotify! The ability to drag songs directly from the radio feature into a playlist is phenomenal! And I LOVE that I can base a radio station off of a playlist/collection of songs instead of just one artist or one song. AND THEN the fact that you can save playlists to that they're available outside of WIFI? Amazing! Spotify took internet radio to the next level! But when it comes to the actual radio feature, I have to admit I've swtiched back to using Pandora too keep myself from throwing my phone at a wall.

When I start a new radio station, no matter the artists/songs/genre, Spotify tends to default to the same 15 songs on every radio station. Does Foster the People REALLY fit in EVERY genre of radio station?! For me, part of the purpose of the radio feature is to discover NEW music. Music I DON'T already have saved my playlists. By no means should it ONLY play new music, I obvisouly love the music I save and want to hear some of it too, but seriously, the repetition is killing me.

If I start a radio station off of a playlist, feel free to play some of those songs! Spotify will resort to playing songs I've thumbed down before it will think about just playing one of the songs that's actually in the playlist the station is based on.

And speaking of thumbs, if I give a song a thumbs down, please don't play it again! Hate to use the example again but I'd love to see something like Pandora does on this one. When I give a song tumbs down, it goes into a list of songs never to be repeated on said station EVER AGAIN. But then it thinks to keep track of these songs, and if I should ever change my mind, I can then remove said song from that list and it'll filter back in to the radio station.

There's so much music available within Spotify (one of the reasons why I LOVE it), USE SOME OF IT IN THE RADIO STATIONS! Get creative. I'd much rather hear NEW music I'm not a fan of, than the same freaking 15 songs that Spotify already knows I don't like.

Hello and welcome to the community! 

Radio is one part of Spotify that keep getting lots of suggestions for change. Your suggestions have been posted before - please add your kudos and comments to the ones you agree with: 

Hopefully the radio function will improve!

Comments
Fred
Community Legend
Status changed to: Duplicate

Hello and welcome to the community! 

Radio is one part of Spotify that keep getting lots of suggestions for change. Your suggestions have been posted before - please add your kudos and comments to the ones you agree with: 

Hopefully the radio function will improve!

BootieTrap

I fully agree.. I have a very varied music taste. Some days I just want to listen to chillstep and other days I wanna listen to stuff like Gwen Stefani and days I wanna listen to hard rock.... and I like discovering new songs. But I bloody don't wanna hear Disturbed when I have my Chillstep or pop radio on. I feel I spend most my time downvoting music when I set it to radio mode. =((