Announcements

Video podcast support - Chromecast - Smart Tv's - Change quality

Since spotify has decided to focus on podcasts, and have got Joe Rogan and many others on board. I think its really important to get these basic features added as soon as possible. I love spotify, but i'm shocked that I didn't find anything about this when searching.

1. Cast video to chromecast from phone and desktop.
2. Add video support to Smart TV's. If I download spotify on my 2020 Samsung TV. I would like to be able to use the video feature...
3. Add the possibilty to select video quality in all apps. (tv, phone, desktop)

Updated on 2020-09-03

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this in the Community!
However, we’ll be closing this idea as it doesn’t follow one or more of the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
  • Ideas should be posted in English.
  • Asking for a complete roll back will be closed--we need specific feedback on exactly what you are liking/ disliking about the latest update (but again one idea per thread).
  • Idea posts must follow the Spotify Community Guidelines.
  • Ideas about pricing or content related requests will be closed.

Keep in mind that a suggestion about video support when casting to a TV has been shared here. If you haven't already, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback there about this.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments

I was expecting to be able to cast the new JRE podcast from Spotify on my phone to Chromecast and then also to the Spotify app on my LG C9. Both failed to live up to expectations as I can only hear audio, but there is no video.

Kind of surprised this wasn't ready for Joe Rogan's debut on the platform. Heading back to YouTube for now.

Visitor

Not cool Spotify, not cool. I was expecting there to be Chromecast support for podcasts with video. Back to YouTube for JRE.

Visitor

Having the same issue. Shocked to see you don’t have support for video casting with Chromecast. Not worth my subscription of this is the case. Please fix! Thank you

Agreed, I have yet to see video support for Chromecast from Spotify. I just tried this out with the Joe Rogan podcast and only audio gets transmitted to my TV. This was one of the main things I liked about the podcast being on YouTube, just leave the video playing in the background. There's just something about having a video format as opposed to audio only, it's not the same anymore. Hope the Devs take note of this and can fix it soon!

Visitor

This is not good! Spotify need to get this sorted before JRE is an exclusive property. I have no interest watching a 5 hour and 19 minute video on my phone ! 

Casual Listener

Same here, this is a major issue.

I cannot believe nobody at Spotify spotted this before the JRE went live on their platform.

Visitor

I'm so disappointed that a video casting feature was overlooked during the 5+ months of preparing for one of the single largest podcasting deals in history.

1. Does Spotify expect everyone to watch the video podcasts e.g. the Joe Rogan Experience on their phones? No, we aren't watching on a PC like it's 2008. 

2. Was no research done prior to this launch on the split of podcast listeners vs. podcast viewers i.e. YouTube? My understanding of the exclusive deal with Joe Rogan is that the podcast would be exclusively published on Spotify instead of YouTube. If you want to displace YouTube, you have to have make it possible to watch the video on a television. 

3. Did Spotify not think that the lack of a video casting feature might be a huge turn off for Joe's (and others) fan base?

4. What is the technological barrier that needs to be crossed in order to cast video? Some of the most generic websites and apps have no problem with this feature.  

Any attention to this request is much appreciated. 

Visitor

Can't believe this isn't possible! Such a weird thing to see that a megaplatform like Spotify does not support video via Chromecast. I'm really stunned..

Visitor

Actually, on Macos and on Roku, videos not working at all, never worked.  Was on Help with Spotify for a good while today.  It's known, and they suggested this thread - although it's not really applicable, in that for Macos and Roku, videos don't work at all.  Kind of sad.

Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2020-09-03

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this in the Community!
However, we’ll be closing this idea as it doesn’t follow one or more of the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
  • Ideas should be posted in English.
  • Asking for a complete roll back will be closed--we need specific feedback on exactly what you are liking/ disliking about the latest update (but again one idea per thread).
  • Idea posts must follow the Spotify Community Guidelines.
  • Ideas about pricing or content related requests will be closed.

Keep in mind that a suggestion about video support when casting to a TV has been shared here. If you haven't already, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback there about this.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.